How do proportional relationships derive physics equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationships between force (F), mass (m), and distance (r) in the context of the law of gravitation. It is stated that F is proportional to m1m2/r^2 and also inversely proportional to r^2. This leads to the conclusion that F is proportional to m1m2/r^2, which is the same as saying F = Gm1m2/r^2, where G is a universal constant. The conversation then explores the idea of combining two proportional relationships, such as F proportional to m and F proportional to a, to give F proportional to ma. The experts explain that this is correct, but it may appear differently due to the choice of units
Rishabh Narula
in particular f=Gm1m2/r^2?sorry if my question sounds very irrelevant.if f is proportional to m1m2 it implies f=some constant times m1m2.okay.at the same time f is inversely proportional to r^2 .so force = some other constant times 1/r^2.okay.but in most places i see that what is done is they take take the two proportional relationships with respect to f and say "THEY ARE COMBINED" into one which is f is proportional to m1m2 times 1/r^2 or f is proportional m1m2/r^2.im just not getting how those two proportional relationships "combine" to give that one relationship from which obviously the law of gravitation comes.Can you please explain why exactly two proportional relationships can be combined like that?also why doesn't it apply same way in f proportional to m and f proportional to a to give f proportional to ma and then f= k ma. why just f= ma? i really want to understand this.THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So the only other alternative would be F = (some factor) x (Gm1m2/r^2). That factor could mean too things:
  • it's a universal constant in which case it's just a matter of units of G;
  • it's a quantity that depends on other physical properties such as time, substance, etc.
We haven't found any evidence of the latter. G really seems to be universal and constant. So I guess the answer to your question is you need three propositions:
  • the force is proportional to m1;
  • the force is proportional to m2;
  • the force is proportional to 1/r^2;
  • the force isn't proportional to anything else.
Therefore F is proportional to m1m2/r^2 or, in other words, F = Gm1m2/r^2

If I know that "f is proportional to h" then I know that, as long as everything else is held fixed, f is equal to a constant times h: f= Ch. Of course, a lot may be hidden in that "C"- things that could be allowed to vary.
If I also know that "f is inversely proportional to [itex]r^2[/itex]",then I know that, everything except r being fixed, [itex]f= \frac{K}{r^2}[/itex]. The two together are possible only if there is a "[itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex]" "hidden" in that "C" or, conversely, "h" "hidden" in that "K". Replacing the "C" in f= Ch with [itex]\frac{K}{r^2}[/itex],we have [itex]f= \frac{Kh}{r^2}[/itex]. Replacing the "K" in [itex]f= \frac{K}{r^2}[/itex] with Ch, we have [itex]f= \frac{Ch}{r^2}[/itex], exactly the same formula, differing only in what we call the "constant of proportionality.

Rishabh Narula said:
also why doesn't it apply same way in f proportional to m and f proportional to a to give f proportional to ma and then f= k ma. why just f= ma?
f = k ma is correct.

It is just that we have chosen our units of force, mass and acceleration so that k = 1 in those units. If you were to use pounds force, pounds mass and feet per second squared then the corresponding k would be approximately 1/32.17 [32.17 is a standard acceleration of gravity, "g", expressed in feet per second squared].

Likes UncertaintyAjay and HallsofIvy
hmm.very thankful to everyone who answered but i think where I am actually getting stuck is nothing high level.im just not getting why a proportional to b and a proportional to c implies a proportional to bc .i get it that if b changes by factor x then a changes by factor x and at the same time if c changes by y then that a.x would change by y resulting a net change a into a.x.y and also i mean yeah when you see a proprtional to bc it is evident that b,c getting changed by x,y makes a change by xy.but i want some more derived proof or something i guess.

Related to How do proportional relationships derive physics equations?

1. How do proportional relationships play a role in deriving physics equations?

Proportional relationships are essential in physics as they help to establish a connection between different physical quantities. By understanding how two quantities are related in a proportional manner, we can use this relationship to derive equations that accurately describe the behavior of physical systems.

2. What is the process for deriving physics equations from proportional relationships?

The process involves first identifying the relevant physical quantities and understanding how they are related through a proportional relationship. Then, we can use this relationship to set up a mathematical equation and solve for any unknown variables. This results in a physics equation that describes the behavior of the system.

3. Can proportional relationships be used to derive all physics equations?

No, not all physics equations can be derived from proportional relationships. Some equations may involve more complex relationships between physical quantities, such as exponential or trigonometric functions. However, proportional relationships are a key starting point for many physics equations.

4. How do proportional relationships help to simplify physics equations?

Proportional relationships allow us to reduce complex physical systems into simpler equations that accurately describe their behavior. By identifying the proportional relationship between physical quantities, we can eliminate unnecessary variables and focus on the most relevant aspects of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using proportional relationships to derive physics equations?

While proportional relationships are a useful tool, they may not always accurately describe the behavior of a physical system. In some cases, non-proportional relationships may be necessary to fully understand and describe the system. Additionally, proportional relationships may not be applicable to all types of physical systems, such as those involving chaotic or unpredictable behavior.