How Do Projectile Angles Affect Velocity at a Fixed Height?

In summary, the three balls in the figure which have equal masses, are fired with equal speeds at the angles shown. Rank in order, from largest to smallest, their speeds as they cross the dashed horizontal line. (All three are fired with sufficient speed to reach the line.) The Attempt at a Solution found that the velocities at the line must also be equal because of conservation of energy.
merzperson

Homework Statement

The three balls in the figure which have equal masses, are fired with equal speeds at the angles shown. Rank in order, from largest to smallest, their speeds as they cross the dashed horizontal line. (All three are fired with sufficient speed to reach the line.)

10.Q8.jpg

Homework Equations

Ep = mgh
K = 0.5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the vo is equal for each ball, we can conclude that vocy > voby > voay. Since the force of gravity has the same effect on each ball, we can conclude that at the line vc > vb > va

However, I am getting the problem wrong on MasteringPhysics. I know this is an energy problem, but I can't get past how simple the problem is in my head.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much will be the kinetic energy of each ball at the horizontal line if they start with equal speeds and rise at equal heights?

ehild

Forget physics. Forget the horizontal component of the velocity too; that's irrelevant to the balls' vertical motion. If you throw a ball in the air, do you think it's going to be faster at, say, a height of 2 m if you throw it up really fast, or if you throw it up really slowly?

@ideasrule:
I'm not sure what you're getting at. If you throw a ball up really fast, the velocity at h=2m will be greater than if you throw it up really slow. How does this apply to the above problem and how does it help to prove that my attempt at a solution is not valid? If anything it seems like it further established my original solution.

@ehild:
I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at either. Each ball starts with equal speed and makes it to the height of the line, but they do not make it to the same final height. This means that the kinetic energy at the line will be different for each ball.

Thank you both for your replies! However, I still do not see how the solution can't be vc > vb > va

EDIT:
I have solved the problem. I found out that I was ignoring the horizontal velocity at the line, so my original answer was correct but was the answer to a different question. The total velocity (not only in the y direction) of the three balls at the line were equal because of conservation of energy (I believe). Since K=0.5mv2 and the masses are the same, and the initial velocities are the same, the velocities at the line must also be the same.

Thanks guys for your help.

Last edited:

Related to How Do Projectile Angles Affect Velocity at a Fixed Height?

What is vertical velocity?

Vertical velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position in the vertical direction. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving up or down.

How is vertical velocity related to energy?

Vertical velocity is directly related to an object's kinetic energy. As an object moves faster in the vertical direction, its kinetic energy increases. This means that a higher vertical velocity results in a higher amount of energy.

What factors affect vertical velocity?

The main factors that affect vertical velocity are the initial height of the object, the force acting on the object, and air resistance. These factors can either increase or decrease the vertical velocity of an object.

Can vertical velocity ever be negative?

Yes, vertical velocity can be negative. A negative vertical velocity indicates that the object is moving downwards. This can occur when an object is thrown upwards and reaches its maximum height, and then begins to fall back down due to the force of gravity.

How is vertical velocity measured?

Vertical velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) using a velocity meter or through mathematical calculations using the object's initial and final positions and time taken to travel between them.