How Do Planes Intersect in Various Linear Systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear system with different values for k and how it affects the solutions. It is mentioned that for k = 0 or 2, the system has no solutions and for other values of k, there is a unique solution. The conversation then delves into the geometric descriptions of the planes represented by the equations, with the conclusion that each plane intersects the other two in a line. The conversation also mentions the use of rank and normals to determine this conclusion. Finally, diagrams are suggested to help understand the orientation of the planes.
srg263
Hi all,

I'm stuck on progressing a problem i have received some feedback around as detailed below. I would greatly appreciate some assistance, and thank you in advance for your time and contributions.

So i have a linear system:
View attachment 6673

Which is row reduced to:
View attachment 6674

I have identified that the system has no solutions for values of k = 0 or 2, and thus a unique solution if k does not equal 0 or 2.

I am stuck on the second part however which is:
"Each of these equations represents a plane. In each case (no solutions, infinitely many solutions or a unique solution, give a geometric description of the three planes."

I understand that:
*No solution = no common intersection of all thee planes
*Unique solution = three planes intersect in a single point
*Infinite solutions = intersection is either a plane or straight line.

I'm confused how to relate this to the systems of equations?

(Also apologies for the screen-shots, i cannot seem to get the maths symbol coding to work - any help with that would also be great!)

Many thanks mathematicians! :-)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 11.39.40 am.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 11.39.40 am.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 11.43.54 am.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 11.43.54 am.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 75
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello srg263,

If you've learned about rank, then considering that (in cases $k = 0, 2$) the coefficient matrix has rank 2 and the augmented matrix has rank 3, each plane intersects the other two planes in a line. If you haven't learned about rank, you can reach the same conclusion by considering the normals to the planes defined by the three equations. Indeed, the normals are coplanar (since the coefficient matrix has determinant $0$), but no two normals are multiples of each other (which implies that no two of the three planes are parallel). So again, each plane intersects the other two in a line.

Euge said:
Hello srg263,

If you've learned about rank, then considering that (in cases $k = 0, 2$) the coefficient matrix has rank 2 and the augmented matrix has rank 3, each plane intersects the other two planes in a line. If you haven't learned about rank, you can reach the same conclusion by considering the normals to the planes defined by the three equations. Indeed, the normals are coplanar (since the coefficient matrix has determinant $0$), but no two normals are multiples of each other (which implies that no two of the three planes are parallel). So again, each plane intersects the other two in a line.

Hi Euge,

Thank you for your response - i very much appreciate your time. Unfortunately i didn't quite understand your explanation there regarding the orientation of the planes that gives this solution set.

I was thinking drawing some diagrams might help me to understand, but I'm not really sure where to start.

Many thanks.

Let's start with the 3rd equation (in reduced form).
Which plane does it represent?

srg263 said:
Hi Euge,

Thank you for your response - i very much appreciate your time. Unfortunately i didn't quite understand your explanation there regarding the orientation of the planes that gives this solution set.

I was thinking drawing some diagrams might help me to understand, but I'm not really sure where to start.

Many thanks.

Think of a triangular prism.

I like Serena said:
Let's start with the 3rd equation (in reduced form).
Which plane does it represent?

Thanks for your response.

Does it represent the z plane?

srg263 said:
Thanks for your response.

Does it represent the z plane?

It represents a plane parallel to the z-plane, but only if there is at least 1 solution.

More specifically, the equation is:
$$(k^2-2k)z=11k+5$$
You already found that if $k^2-2k=0$, it has no solution.
And if $k^2-2k \ne 0$, we can write it as:
$$z=\frac{11k+5}{k^2-2k}$$
which is a plane parallel to the z-plane.

Which plane would the 2nd equation represent?

Related to How Do Planes Intersect in Various Linear Systems?

1. What is the relationship between geometry and linear systems?

The study of geometry involves understanding the properties and relationships of shapes and figures in space. Linear systems, on the other hand, deal with the study of linear equations and how they interact with each other. Geometry and linear systems are closely related because the solutions to linear equations can be graphed as lines, and these lines can represent geometric figures such as points, lines, and planes.

2. How is matrix notation used in geometry and linear systems?

In geometry, matrices can be used to represent transformations such as translations, rotations, and reflections. This is useful in linear systems because these transformations can be used to solve systems of linear equations. Additionally, matrices can be used to represent the coefficients and variables in a system of equations, making it easier to solve using matrix operations.

3. Can geometry be used to solve systems of linear equations?

Yes, geometry can be used to solve systems of linear equations. By graphing the equations, the point of intersection of the lines can be found, which represents the solution to the system. In some cases, geometric properties such as parallel or perpendicular lines can also help in determining the solutions to a system of equations.

4. What is the difference between a solution and no solution in a linear system?

In a linear system, a solution is a set of values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system. This means that when the equations are graphed, the lines intersect at a single point, representing a unique solution. On the other hand, a system with no solution has conflicting equations that do not have a common point of intersection, making it impossible to find a solution.

5. How is the concept of slope used in geometry and linear systems?

Slope is a measure of the steepness of a line and is an important concept in geometry and linear systems. In geometry, slope is used to describe the incline of a line or the sides of a shape. In linear systems, slope is used to determine the relationship between two lines, whether they are parallel, perpendicular, or intersecting. The slope of a line can also be used to write its equation in slope-intercept form, making it easier to graph and solve systems of linear equations.