How do particles behave when approaching a black hole?

In summary, the small particle is able to avoid colliding with the black hole by collapsing as soon as it begins to exist. This solution only works if the black hole does not have a finite width.
Sariaht
Most neutrinos move straight through the Earth without colliding, right?

Imagine a very small particle that moves against a black hole. it cannot move straight through it without colliding or collapsing. If it does not collide then it can never have a starting speed against the black hole cause then it would go straight through and out on the other side. the only solution to the problem is that it collapses as soon as it begins to exist. but if it begins to exist right next to the black hole 2GM/r + v will always be c and it will never collapse (but a particle that collapses as soon as it begins to exist cannot possibly have a mass and thereby does not exist, or that is what i think). My question to you is won't 2GM/r + v be c for all particles in the black whole and thereby there length will be 0, they will never collide nore and therefore the black hole will never collapse, yes? perhaps not, if 2GM/r + v is c then all of the particles mass will be neverending (why the particles I talked about before cannot exist), that is if they are not stuck in the middle, which they must be, aint i right? cause then 2GM/r + v is not c... I think I have done something wrong here...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is that it a black hole doesn't have a finite 'width' or diameter; the spacetime within the event horizon is so curved that the 'distance' from one side of black hole to the other is infinite. The geodesics of motion approach a singularity.

I am actually thinking of something else right now. I thought that if a particle gains infinite mass in falling against a black hole, were did the extra mass come from? clearly the black hole only win the particles rest mass or something like that, so the other particles in the black hole must lose mass, right? And it must allways be like that no matter if it's a star or a black hole. Every particle gives speed and mass to every other particle. I wounder how much speed it gives relative to the mass it gives... That is variating i understand now.

And that trick you are talking about, are you sure that solves the problem?

Last edited:
I guess no particle can move through a black hole without colliding, no matter if it is a photon or neutral particle or a charged particle. Doesn't this mean something?

Related to How do particles behave when approaching a black hole?

1. How do particles get trapped and unable to escape?

Particles can get trapped due to the presence of a strong gravitational field, such as that of a black hole, or by being caught in the magnetic field of a planet or star. They can also be confined by other particles, such as in a solid or liquid medium.

2. What happens to particles that are unable to escape?

Particles that are unable to escape remain in their trapped state until some external force acts upon them. This can result in various phenomena, such as the formation of an accretion disk around a black hole or the creation of auroras in the Earth's atmosphere.

3. Can particles ever escape once they are trapped?

In some cases, particles can escape from their trapped state through processes such as evaporation or collisions with other particles. However, in most cases, particles remain trapped until they are acted upon by an external force.

4. How does the inability of particles to escape affect the behavior of celestial bodies?

The inability of particles to escape can have a significant impact on the behavior of celestial bodies. For example, the presence of trapped particles can influence the formation and evolution of planets and stars, as well as contribute to the dynamics of galaxies and other larger structures in the universe.

5. Is it possible for particles to escape from a black hole?

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible for particles to escape from a black hole. This can occur through a process known as Hawking radiation, where pairs of particles and antiparticles are created just outside the black hole's event horizon, with one particle escaping and the other falling into the black hole.