How Do Oxygen Molecule Quantities Differ in Two Physics Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to calculating the number of oxygen molecules in a specific vessel. The first question involves determining the necessary number of molecules to produce a pressure of 1.00 atm at a given speed, while the second question involves calculating the number of molecules contained in the vessel at a specific temperature and atmospheric pressure. The difference between the two questions is explained using the ideal gas law and the root mean square speed principle. The second question is three times larger due to the use of the avogadro number.
jaidon
i have a multi-part question which is fine except for two areas.

1) how many oxygen molecules traveling at this speed (i already have the speed calculated) are necessary to produce an average pressure of 1.00 atm?

2) calculate the number of oxygen molecules that are actually contained in a vessel of this size (cubical with sides of 0.10m) at 300K and atmospheric pressure.

the problem is that i don't understand the difference between the two questions. i wanted to use PV=2/3NKav for one but i don't know which one or what to use for the other. It also says that the answer to 2 should be 3 times the size of 1. I find this very confusing. Could anyone try and explain the difference to me? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure is related to the mean square velocity as,

[tex]P = \frac{2}{3}\frac{mN}{V}v_{rms}^2[/tex]

If the speed you're using is the root mean square speed, its okay to use this relationship. In deriving it, you use the equipartition of energy principle to give equal degrees of freedom along the 3 mutually perpendicular axes and you arrive at the expression involving root mean square speed.

For the second part you would use

[tex]PV = \frac{N}{N_{A}}RT[/tex] and solve for N.

The second part is pretty straightforward. All you have to do is write the number of moles in the ideal gas equation as the ratio of the number of molecules to the avogadro number.

Hope that helps...

Cheers
Vivek

i'm still not sure what the difference in the situations is. what is going on that would make the second question three times larger than the first?

Related to How Do Oxygen Molecule Quantities Differ in Two Physics Problems?

1. How many oxygen molecules are there in the atmosphere?

The number of oxygen molecules in the atmosphere varies depending on location and altitude. On average, there are about 21% oxygen molecules in the Earth's atmosphere, which is equivalent to about 2.1 x 1018 molecules per cubic centimeter.

2. How many oxygen molecules are in a breath of air?

In a single breath, there are approximately 25 sextillion (25 x 1021) oxygen molecules. This number can vary slightly depending on factors such as lung capacity and breathing rate.

3. How many oxygen molecules make up a water molecule?

A water molecule (H2O) is made up of 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom, so there are 3 oxygen molecules in a single water molecule.

4. How many oxygen molecules are in a mole of oxygen gas?

In one mole of oxygen gas (O2), there are 6.02 x 1023 oxygen molecules. This is known as Avogadro's number and is a fundamental constant in chemistry.

5. How does the number of oxygen molecules affect air quality?

The number of oxygen molecules is an important factor in determining the quality of air. If there is a large concentration of other molecules, such as pollutants, in the air, it can lead to a decrease in the number of oxygen molecules. This can result in poor air quality and can be harmful to human health.