How Do Orientations Affect Total Flow into a Tetrahedron?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of oriented area and flow across a surface in the context of two-forms in Advanced Calculus. The speaker is struggling with understanding how to establish orientation in order to find the total flow into a tetrahedron. They provide an example of a regular tetrahedron and its projections on the xy-plane, and explain how the orientation of the vertices affects the total flow. The conversation also mentions the importance of incompressibility in determining the total flow.
TopCat
I'm working through Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach at my leisure. In going over two-forms the notions of "flow across an area" and "oriented area" are introduced I hit a brick wall with grasping orientations, though, when asked to find the total flow into a tetrahedron.

So this is what's confusing me. For a unit flow in the z-direction of xyz-space, the flow across a surface is just the oriented area dxdy of the surface. So all I have to do to answer the question is find the oriented areas of the projections of all four component triangles of the tetrahedron on the xy-plane and add them together. The result should clearly be zero since, intuitively, the flow is uniform so that nothing is accumulating inside the tetrahedron and, therefore, flow in = flow out.

If I have a regular tetrahedron with vertices PQRS, PQR in the xy-plane and S at point (0,0,1), then the projection looks like a triangle with S at the centroid.
[PLAIN]http://www.j1n.org/srs/misc/tetra.JPG
Since each triangle is oriented in the direction [tex] P \rightarrow Q \rightarrow R \rightarrow S[/tex] then we have the four component oriented triangles PQR, PQS, QRS, and PRS.

Since [tex] A_{PQS} + A_{QRS} + A_{PRS} = A_{PQR}[/tex] (where A denotes area), each of the smaller triangles must have an orientation opposite the big triangle so the total sum of oriented areas is zero. But given the orientation of the vertices, QRS, PQR and PQS have the same orientation (all are counter-clockwise) so the total flow into won't sum to zero.

So clearly I've oriented two of the triangles wrong. I'm confused as to how I should establish orientation if I can't go by the handedness of the direction given by the vertices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Clockwiseness is in the eye of the beholder. Imagine yourself moving around the tetrahedron on the outside so you can look directly at each face. In your picture you already are pretty much viewing face PQS and QRS and they are counterclockwise from your viewpoint, which would correspond to an outward normal by the right hand rule.

If you are standing on the left of the object, you would have to use PSR for the same counterclockwise orientation, and if you were underneath looking up you would use PSQ.

Also you wouldn't expect zero total flow unless the flow was incompressible, for then by the divergence theorem

[tex]\int\int_S \vec F \cdot d\vec S = \int\int\int_V \nabla \cdot \vec F\, dV= 0[/tex]

Related to How Do Orientations Affect Total Flow into a Tetrahedron?

1. What is net flow into a tetrahedron?

The net flow into a tetrahedron refers to the total amount of fluid or particles entering the tetrahedron structure. This can be calculated by subtracting the amount of fluid or particles exiting the tetrahedron from the amount entering it.

2. How is net flow into a tetrahedron measured?

Net flow into a tetrahedron can be measured using a variety of methods, depending on the type of fluid or particles being studied. Common techniques include flow visualization experiments, tracer studies, and mathematical modeling.

3. Why is net flow into a tetrahedron important?

The net flow into a tetrahedron is important because it can provide insight into the behavior of fluids and particles within the tetrahedron. This information can be used in various scientific and engineering applications, such as understanding fluid dynamics and designing efficient filtration systems.

4. How does the shape of a tetrahedron affect net flow?

The shape of a tetrahedron can greatly affect net flow. A more streamlined and symmetrical tetrahedron will typically have a more uniform and predictable flow pattern, while a more irregularly shaped tetrahedron may experience turbulence and variations in flow.

5. What factors can influence net flow into a tetrahedron?

There are several factors that can influence net flow into a tetrahedron, including the shape and size of the tetrahedron, the properties of the fluid or particles being studied, and the velocity and direction of the flow. Other external factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also play a role in net flow.