How Do Numerical and Analytical Solutions Compare in Finite Coulomb Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's use of numerical solutions to wave equations and their comparison to analytic solutions. They have encountered issues with the finite Coulomb problem and are seeking advice and information from others who have worked on it. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using other solutions and techniques to improve accuracy.
FunkyDwarf
Hey guys,

I'm doing some numerical solutions to wave equations and i started by checking that my method using NDSolve in mathematica worked by comparing it to the analytic solutions DSolve would produce. Now in terms of numerically solving the schrodinger equation i have done the usual trick to integrate out from zero by assuming the solution at some small r0 to be [tex]r^{l}[/tex] and thus the derivative to be [tex]l r^{l-1}[/tex] which means NDSolve doesn't crap its pants at zero where the equation is singular.

Now, this all works fine when i do the normal coulomb potential of -1/r (assume attractive) as when compared with the analytic solution which is regular at the origin (lagurre polynomials) it gives the image below (in both images numeric solutions are purple):

http://members.iinet.net.au/~housewrk/ext.jpg

Where i have taken the magnitude as the waves are in fact pi out of phase, but in terms of 'measureables' you only measure the magnitudes anyway so for all intents and purposes these waves are infact in phase (also the analytic solution is complex). I should point out i don't really care about magnitudes as eventually i am simply hunting for a phase shift.

Anyway, if i do the same procedure with the interior potential for a uniform charged sphere

[tex]-\frac{1}{2R}(3-\frac{r^{2}}{R^{2}})[/tex] where I've set Q = 1, and you again take the Lagurre solution you get
http://members.iinet.net.au/~housewrk/int.jpg
which are clearly out of phase. The radius R of the sphere is 30 here.

Now, i know that i should automatically assume the Lagurre solution is the correct one but I'm not sure what to do as both (analytic) solutions seem to have trouble at the origin, but the probability integrand for both is bounded at the origin (its zero). The derivatives, however, are not always zero at the origin which is another issue.

I guess my question is: has anyone else done this? I can't find a whole lot on the finite coulomb problem :(

Cheers
-

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

As a fellow scientist, I have also encountered similar issues when trying to numerically solve wave equations. Your approach of comparing numerical solutions to analytic solutions is a good way to check for accuracy and validity.

In terms of the Schrodinger equation, I have also used the same trick of assuming a solution at some small r0 to avoid singularities at the origin. However, I have not specifically worked with the finite Coulomb problem, so I am not familiar with any specific solutions for that potential.

From what I can see in your images, there seems to be a phase shift between the two solutions. This could be due to the different potentials you are using, as well as the fact that the Laguerre solution may not be the only valid solution for the finite Coulomb problem. It might be worth exploring other possible solutions or numerical methods to see if you can achieve a better match.

I suggest looking into literature on the finite Coulomb problem and seeing if there are any other known solutions or techniques that could help you in your work. It's always helpful to see what others have done in similar situations.

Best of luck with your research!

Related to How Do Numerical and Analytical Solutions Compare in Finite Coulomb Problems?

1. What are finite Coulomb solutions?

Finite Coulomb solutions refer to solutions to the Coulomb equation, which describes the electric potential and field of a static point charge in a vacuum. These solutions are finite, meaning they have a well-defined value at every point in space.

2. Why are finite Coulomb solutions important?

Finite Coulomb solutions are important because they allow us to accurately model and understand the behavior of electric charges in a vacuum. They also have practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of electronic devices.

3. How are finite Coulomb solutions calculated?

Finite Coulomb solutions are typically calculated using numerical methods, such as the finite difference method or the boundary element method. These methods involve discretizing space and solving the Coulomb equation iteratively.

4. What are some properties of finite Coulomb solutions?

Finite Coulomb solutions have several important properties, including that they follow an inverse square law, meaning the electric field strength decreases with the square of the distance from the point charge. They also have a singularity at the location of the point charge, where the electric field becomes infinite.

5. Can finite Coulomb solutions be extended to non-vacuum environments?

Yes, finite Coulomb solutions can be extended to non-vacuum environments by incorporating the effects of other materials, such as dielectrics or conductors. This can be done through the use of boundary conditions and additional equations, such as the Poisson or Laplace equations.