How do Newton's Laws relate to friction and inclined ramps?

In summary, Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the Second Law, can be applied to understand the relationship between friction and inclined ramps. According to the Second Law, the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. When an object is placed on an inclined ramp, its weight is split into two components: the force acting perpendicular to the ramp and the force parallel to the ramp, or the force of gravity and the force of friction, respectively. The greater the angle of the incline, the greater the force of friction, which can be calculated using the coefficient of friction. By understanding the forces at play on an object on an inclined ramp, we can better understand its motion and behavior.
sktgurl930

Homework Statement

A 2.8 kg wood block is launched up a wooden ramp that is inclined at a 34° angle. The block’s initial speed is 8.56 m/s. What vertical height does the block reach above its starting point?

What speed does it have when it slides back down to its starting point?

Homework Equations

Fk=mk*N
a=Fk/M

The Attempt at a Solution

Fk=.20*2.8*9.8
=5.488

a=1.96
and yea i really don't kno wat to do with this

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a free body diagram? You are missing some things. Also, there is an angle involved, so you must resolve your forces into their components.

ok so i think i drew it right and this is the equation i got from it
fnetx= -Fk-Wsin+v=Ma
fnety=N-Wcos=Ma

how does that give me height and accerelation

ok so this is wat i got ignore the last post
wx=M*gsin = 8.324N
Fk= Mk*N = 3.9396 N
Fk-Wx/m= - 4.385 m/s^2
Xf=xi+(Vf^2-Vi^2/2a)= 9.133
Xf*sin= 3.8599
would this be my height?

sktgurl930 said:
ok so i think i drew it right and this is the equation i got from it
fnetx= -Fk-Wsin+v=Ma
fnety=N-Wcos=Ma

how does that give me height and accerelation

These are sort of correct, there's a few problems though:

v is not a force, so you can't add it as one in your equation.

If you look in the y direction, there is no movement in it; the block stays on the incline. So the acceleration is zero in that direction. This makes your equation simpler.

Well it will let you solve for acceleration, after which you can work on finding the height.

sktgurl930 said:
ok so this is wat i got ignore the last post
wx=M*gsin = 8.324N
Fk= Mk*N = 3.9396 N
Fk-Wx/m= - 4.385 m/s^2
Xf*sin= 3.8599
would this be my height?

I'm having trouble understanding what you've done here. I don't see how you got 8.324 N. What did you use for N when you found Fk?
This doesn't make sense the way you've typed it.

Take a look at this website, maybe it will help you http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/newt.html#nt2cn

Related to How do Newton's Laws relate to friction and inclined ramps?

1. What is Newton's first law of friction?

Newton's first law of friction states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless it is acted upon by an external force.

2. What is Newton's second law of friction?

Newton's second law of friction states that the force of friction is directly proportional to the force pushing the two surfaces together and is also dependent on the type of materials in contact.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force of friction between two surfaces to the force pushing them together. It is different for different materials and is used to calculate the force of friction in a given situation.

4. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down or stop. It also affects the direction of an object's motion, causing it to change direction if the frictional force is not directly opposite to the motion.

5. Can the force of friction ever be completely eliminated?

No, the force of friction can never be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that arises due to surface roughness and interactions between molecules. However, it can be reduced by using materials with low coefficients of friction or by lubricating surfaces.