How Do Neutrons Differ Before and After Nuclear Fission?

In summary, the neutrons released after nuclear fission do not differ from those absorbed to begin the reaction. They are all the same, with the only differences being in circumstances like their velocities. The neutrons are not "made," but are simply released from the fissioning nucleus. Delayed neutrons, which are the result of the de-excitation of fission products undergoing beta decay, have slightly less energy than prompt neutrons.
padraig
Hi, just unsure about a question I wonder if you can help me with: How do the neutrons released after nuclear fission differ from those absorbed to begin the reaction in the first place. I think this may be asking me about delayed neutrons, but this is more to do with how the neutrons are made rather than any properties/statistics they may have.

Any ideas??

Many thanks

Patrick

Physics news on Phys.org
A neutron is a neutron; there are no differences from one to the next, other than circumstances like their velocities. The neutrons are not "made," they are simply released from the fissioning nucleus.

- Warren

I know that they are all the same, by 'properties/statistics' I did mean velocities etc. And by 'made' i was just referring to a delayed neutron being called so because it takes time to be emitted DURING the fission process. So then, do you know of any changes in VELOCITY of the neutrons that occur before/after fission?

The neutrons coming out of a fissioning nucleus are usually traveling very, very fast. In fact, nuclear reactors have to use a "moderator" substance to slow the neutrons down so they can interact with other nuclei. Otherwise they'd just fly out of the reactor, hit the containment walls, and be wasted.

- Warren

cheers

Pat

I guess that means I answered your question? Good. :smile: Welcome to pf.

- Warren

padraig said:
And by 'made' i was just referring to a delayed neutron being called so because it takes time to be emitted DURING the fission process.

Delayed neutrons are not produced by or during the fission. They are the result of the de-excitation of fission products undergoing beta decay.

Prompt neutrons carry away ~2 MeV on average, but it's a spectrum - the most probable energy is about 0.7 MeV. Delayed neutrons have somewhat less energy.

Related to How Do Neutrons Differ Before and After Nuclear Fission?

1. What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. How does nuclear fission work?

Nuclear fission occurs when a heavy atom, such as uranium, is bombarded with neutrons. This causes the atom's nucleus to become unstable and split into smaller nuclei, releasing energy in the form of heat and radiation.

3. What is the purpose of nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is used to generate electricity in nuclear power plants. The energy released during the fission process is used to heat water and produce steam, which then turns turbines to generate electricity.

4. What are the potential hazards of nuclear fission?

The main hazards of nuclear fission are the production of radioactive waste and the potential for accidents or meltdowns, which can release dangerous levels of radiation into the environment.

5. How is nuclear fission different from nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fission involves the splitting of atoms, while nuclear fusion involves the combining of atoms. Fusion is the process that powers the sun and other stars, and it is still being researched as a potential source of energy on Earth.