How do mesons not self-destruct?

• Thread starter tinypositrons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mesons
In summary, mesons do have the potential to annihialate due to the presence of a quark and anti-quark, but they typically decay rather than annihilate immediately. This is because the process of annihilation is not instantaneous and can result in bound states that last for a short period of time before decaying.
tinypositrons
Hello physicists,

I was speaking to my friend about mesons when I realized that surely a meson would annihialate at creation due to the fact that it has a quark and anti-quark. I know it doesn't, but I'm wondering why. Clarrification on this would be great.

Thanks,
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Well they do. Depending of course on what you mean by "annihilation".

All mesons decay. Most mesons consist of a quark and antiquark of different types, although some do contain a quark and antiquark of the same variety (see "quarkonium").

But remember that annihilation is not an instantaneous process, e.g. an electron-positron pair can form a bound state, positronium, which lasts for ~ 10-10 sec (that's a pretty long time!) before decaying.

Last edited:

Related to How do mesons not self-destruct?

1. What are mesons?

Mesons are subatomic particles made up of a quark and an antiquark. They are classified as bosons and have a mass that is intermediate between that of protons and electrons.

2. How do mesons form?

Mesons are formed through the strong nuclear force, which is one of the fundamental forces of nature. This force binds quarks together to form particles such as mesons and protons.

3. Why do mesons have a short lifespan?

Mesons have a short lifespan because they are unstable particles. This means that they decay into other particles, such as photons or other mesons, within a fraction of a second after their creation.

4. What prevents mesons from self-destructing immediately?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for holding mesons together, counteracting the natural tendency of the quark and antiquark to annihilate each other. This force is also responsible for the short lifespan of mesons as it eventually causes them to decay.

5. How do scientists study mesons without them self-destructing?

Scientists use high-energy particle accelerators to produce mesons and study their properties. These accelerators can create mesons and other particles at extremely high speeds, allowing scientists to observe them before they decay.