How Do Magnets Work At an Atomic Level (Motion of Charged Bodies)?

In summary, a magnet is created by the spinning of charged particles within the atoms of the magnet. The magnetic field is associated with the "spin" of the charged particles.
AFSstudent
I'm a year 12 physics student and I have a keen interest in the inner workings of a magnet.

I know that magnetic fields are created by the motion of charged bodies.
1. Is this somehow related to the how magnets create their fields, within their structure at an atomic level?

I've heard that the magnetic fields created by magnets are associated with the "spin" of charged particles within the atoms of the magnet.
2. What kind of magnetic fields do spinning charged bodies create in motion? When stationary?
3. What does this have to do with the magnetic field of a magnet?

I know that each atom within a magnet acts as a microscopic dipole and these are all aligned within a magnet.
4. So how exactly do these atoms act as dipoles?
5. How are the charged bodies within a magnet's atomic structure moving when these dipoles are said to be "aligned"?

I know that there is some quantum physics involved in understanding these but I will try my best to interpret any answers I'm given, so please don't hold back. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All of this boils down to nature of spin. You can picture this as electrons being charged spheres that spin around their own axis. It's not entirely correct, but until you get into quantum mechanics of it all, it's not a bad mental picture to have. If you have a spinning charged object, you end up with a current loop, same as if a bunch of point-charges were traveling in circles making up a sphere together. So each individual electron acts as a tiny magnetic dipole. The rest is pretty much as you say. If all of these dipoles align, their magnetic contributions add together, generating an overall magnetic field.

In order to understand magnetic materials (as opposed to electromagnets) you need quantum mechanics.

Atoms with partially filled shells can carry a magnetic moment without any moving charges in the classical sense. The magnetic moment you see is generated by the electrons. The nucleus may also carry a magnetic moment, but in almost all cases that can be neglected (it is about 2000 times smaller than that of the electrons).

The magnetic moment has two components, called "spin" S and "orbit" L.

The spin is a purely relativistic effect. Each electron has spin S=1/2.

The orbital moment has integer values that can go up to L=3 in rare Earth's and actinides.

When you have several electrons, then there are rules of how to combine their spin and orbital moments. They are called "Hund's rules". You end up with a total magnetic moment quantum number J. The atom's magnetic moment is this quantum number multiplied by a "Lande factor" g. For spin-only (L=0), g=2, for orbit-only (S=0) g=1. If you have both spin and orbit, it is somewhere in between.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hund's_rules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landé_g-factor

One you have several (potentially) magnetic atoms in a crystal lattice things become ... interesting. You get interactions between them Hund's rules may be modified by crystal fields, ... Some of this is still the subject of ongoing research.

Related to How Do Magnets Work At an Atomic Level (Motion of Charged Bodies)?

1. How do magnets attract and repel each other at an atomic level?

Magnets have two poles, north and south, which are associated with the magnetic fields they create. At an atomic level, this is due to the alignment of the electrons in the atoms. Like charges (either positive or negative) repel each other, while opposite charges attract. In magnets, the electrons in the atoms are aligned in a specific way that creates a magnetic field, causing them to attract or repel other magnets.

2. What causes the motion of charged bodies within a magnetic field?

The motion of charged bodies within a magnetic field is caused by the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. This force depends on the charge and velocity of the particle, as well as the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. How does the motion of electrons in atoms contribute to the magnetic properties of materials?

The motion of electrons in atoms contributes to the magnetic properties of materials through their spin and orbital angular momentum. In some materials, the electrons are aligned in the same direction, creating a strong magnetic field. In others, the electrons cancel each other out, resulting in a weak or no magnetic field.

4. Why do some materials exhibit magnetic properties while others do not?

Materials exhibit magnetic properties when their electrons are aligned in a specific way, creating a magnetic field. This can occur through the inherent magnetic properties of the material's atoms or through the alignment of electrons in a strong external magnetic field. Materials without these properties do not exhibit magnetic behavior.

5. How does temperature affect the motion of charged bodies within a magnetic field?

Temperature can affect the motion of charged bodies within a magnetic field by altering the speed and collisions of the particles. As the temperature increases, the particles gain more kinetic energy and move faster, increasing collisions and potentially disrupting the motion within the magnetic field.