How Do Magnetic Fields Orient Around Parallel Conductors?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field strength at a point x between two wires carrying currents of 1.5 A and 2.5 A. The right hand rule is mentioned, and it is clarified that the magnetic field is going into the page for wire A and out of the page for wire B. The final solution involves vectorially adding the two fields.
9giddjl

Homework Statement

Consider Figure 25.14 (attached photo). In the figure, two separate wires are in close proximity. If wire A carries a current of 1.5 A and wire B carries a current of 2.5 A, calculate the value of the magnetic field strength at a point x between the two wires.

Homework Equations

I know that I have to find B for wire A and B for wire B and then vectorially add them. The only problem I am really having is i don't know which wire has its magnetic field going into the page and which wire has its magnetic field coming out of the page. The book says wire a's magnetic field is going into the page whilst its coming out of the page for wire B. How do I know? I have used the right hand grip rule and I understand this.. I am just really uncertain and abit lost...

The Attempt at a Solution

Any help will be appreciated.. thankyou kindly:)

Attachments

• physicsquestion.jpg
    physicsquestion.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
You say you used the right hand rule and understand it, yet you don't. This is a bit confusing to me. Do you know what the magnetic field looks like for a wire, just the general 'shape'?

sorry! I thought i knew how to use the rule.. for example.. if i wrap my finger around a wire i point my thumb in the direction of the current and then my fingers represent the direction of the magnetic field? But I don't think I understand it really... could you please explain it to me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Right_hand_rule.png

if you use that rule on your problem - than magnetic field ABOVE the conductor will be FROM the page. Whereas magnetic field BELOW the conductor will be INTO the page.
Point B is BELOW conductor A and ABOVE conductor B. Therefore, Vectors of fields are opposite to one another. Naturally you will have to deduct the vectors and find the final vector.

ok that makes sense! I think I understand now...Thankyou so much!
many many thanks:)

Related to How Do Magnetic Fields Orient Around Parallel Conductors?

What are parallel conductors?

Parallel conductors are two or more conductors that are placed side by side and carry electric current in the same direction. They are often used in electrical circuits to increase the current-carrying capacity.

How do parallel conductors affect the magnetic field?

When current flows through parallel conductors, it creates a magnetic field around the wires. The magnetic field around each wire interacts with the magnetic field of the other wire, resulting in a stronger overall magnetic field between the conductors and a weaker field outside of them.

How can I calculate the magnetic field between parallel conductors?

The magnetic field between parallel conductors can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πd, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and d is the distance between the conductors.

What factors can affect the strength of the magnetic field between parallel conductors?

The strength of the magnetic field between parallel conductors can be affected by the distance between the conductors, the amount of current flowing through the wires, and the materials used for the conductors.

How is the direction of the magnetic field determined between parallel conductors?

The direction of the magnetic field between parallel conductors is determined by the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing in the same direction in both conductors, the magnetic field will be circular around the conductors. If the current is flowing in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be elliptical between the conductors.