How Do Magnetic Coils Affect Bird Navigation?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem related to migrating birds using the Earth's magnetic field for navigation. The problem involves calculating the current needed for identical coils with specific dimensions to produce a magnetic field of 4.5e-5 T. The formula B = uo(I)(L) is mentioned and the individual has attempted to solve the problem, but their answer does not match the correct answer of 21.5mA. It is suggested to use the formula for the magnetic field on the axis of a loop, which can be derived from Biot-Savart.
stryker123
Possible Helmholtz equation?

Homework Statement

Heres my problem: In recent studies of migrating birds using the Earth's magnetic field for navigation, birds have been fitted with coils as "caps" and "collars".

a. If the identical coils have radii of 1.2cm and are 2.2cm apart, with 50 turns of wire apiece, what current should they both carry to produce a magnetic field of 4.5e-5 T halfway between them?

I have no idea how to start/do this problem and don't know what equations I should use.

Homework Equations

B = uo(I)(L)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found B to be 56.4A, however, the correct answer is supposidly 21.5mA. How is this possible/what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use the formula for B on the axis of a loop.
It is easy to derive using Biot-Savart.

Related to How Do Magnetic Coils Affect Bird Navigation?

1. What is the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in a variety of physical systems, including electromagnetics, acoustics, and fluid dynamics. It is named after the German physicist Hermann von Helmholtz.

2. What is the significance of the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of waves in different physical systems. It is used extensively in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

3. How is the Helmholtz equation derived?

The Helmholtz equation is derived from the general wave equation by assuming a harmonic time dependence and separation of variables. This results in a second-order partial differential equation that can be solved for the wave's spatial dependence.

4. What are some applications of the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation has a wide range of applications, including the study of electromagnetic waves in antennas and circuits, sound waves in musical instruments and acoustic systems, and fluid dynamics in ocean and atmospheric systems.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions of the Helmholtz equation?

One limitation of the Helmholtz equation is that it assumes linear and homogeneous media, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, the equation is only valid for systems that are in a steady-state, meaning that the wave behavior does not change over time.