How Do Kinematics and Impulse Principles Apply in a Two-Particle Pulley System?

In summary, two particles of masses 8 kg and 5 kg are connected by a light inextensible string over a fixed smooth pulley. They are initially held at a position 5 m above the ground and then released from rest. The tension in the string is 800/13 N and the acceleration of each particle is 30/13 ms-2. To find the distance above the ground of the point H, the highest point reached by the 5 kg mass, we can use kinematics equations to solve for the distance traveled by the 5 kg mass before coming to rest. To find the speed at which the system is jerked into motion and the impulse experienced by the string during the jerk, we can use the
songoku

Homework Statement

Two particles of masses 8 kg and 5 kg are connected to the two ends of a light inextensible string which passes over a fixed smooth pulley. Initially each of the two particles are held at a position which is 5 m above a horizontal ground. The objects are then released from rest. Assuming that the particles never reach the pulley, and also that the particles do not rebound when thhey strike the ground.

(i) find the tension in the string and the acceleration of each particle
(ii) find the distance above the ground of the point H, the highest point reached by the 5 kg mass
(iii) find the speed with which the system is jerked into motion and the impulse experienced by the string during the jerk.

Homework Equations

F = ma
Kinematics
Impulse = change in momentum
p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm able to do part (i) and (ii). For part (i), I got T = 800/13 N and a = 30/13 ms-2

I don't understand how to do the part (iii). What is the meaning of "which the system is jerked into motion"? I think maybe I have to find the speed when it moves for the first time, but no information about time given...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the velocities of masses when 8 kg mass hits the ground.
At that instant T becomes zero. 5 kg mass stops accelerating. That may be the point of jerk. After that 5 kg mass retards with g. You can find distance traveled by it before coming to rest.

Hi rl.bhat

Oh, that's the point of jerk. Then to find the impulse on the string, take the initlal velocity as the velocity of point of jerk and final velocity = 0?

Thanks

Can u solve the question ii/ and iii/ a bit clearly...THx

for any help!

I am happy to assist you with your question about kinematics and impulse.

For part (iii), the phrase "jerked into motion" refers to the initial acceleration of the system when it is released from rest. This is the moment when the forces acting on the particles suddenly change, causing them to start moving.

To find the speed at which the system is jerked into motion, we can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Since we know the acceleration from part (i), we can plug it into the equation and solve for v. This will give us the speed at which the system starts moving.

To find the impulse experienced by the string during the jerk, we can use the equation impulse = change in momentum. Since the initial momentum of the system is 0, we can simply find the final momentum by using the equation p = mv, where m is the mass of the system (8 kg + 5 kg = 13 kg) and v is the final velocity that we found in the previous step. This will give us the final momentum of the system.

The impulse experienced by the string is then equal to the change in momentum, which can be calculated by subtracting the initial momentum (0) from the final momentum. This will give us the magnitude of the impulse experienced by the string.

I hope this helps you understand how to approach part (iii) of the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Do Kinematics and Impulse Principles Apply in a Two-Particle Pulley System?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion and its causes, without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object.

2. How is kinematics related to impulse?

Kinematics and impulse are related because impulse is the change in an object's momentum, which is determined by its mass and velocity, both of which are components of kinematics.

3. What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in an object's momentum due to a force acting on it for a certain amount of time. It is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time it is applied for.

4. How does impulse affect an object's motion?

Impulse can cause a change in an object's velocity, which in turn affects its position and acceleration. A larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum and therefore a greater effect on an object's motion.

5. How are kinematics and impulse used in real-world applications?

Kinematics and impulse are used in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports to analyze and predict the motion of objects. They are also used in safety devices, such as airbags in cars, which use impulse to reduce the impact force on passengers during a collision.