How Do J.B. Johnson and Tetmajer's Buckling Formulas Differ?

• Thread starter MatsNorway
  • Start date
In summary, Tetmajer and J.B. Johnson are both names associated with formulas used in buckling analysis. Tetmajer improved upon Euler's work and is more commonly referenced in mathematical discussions, while J.B. Johnson's approach is an empirical one often used in practical applications. The website shellbuckling.com is a comprehensive resource for information on buckling and there are also additional resources available on the /links page. However, there is limited non-mathematical discussion on this topic, so anyone with experience in the field is encouraged to share their insights.
MatsNorway
Hi Guys.

I was wondering if anyone had any info about buckling and the different formulas used. My school book had Tetmajer referenced but it seems a J.B. Johnson is also used a lot. So..

1. What are the difference in the formulas they use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The most comprehensive ever resource on buckling in the whole internet is there: shellbuckling.com

That is a messy page! But the /links page got more than i can look over in a day.. so thanks.

But i would prefer ofcs some non math talk about the topic. I see very little discussion around it with google.

I am still curious about this if there is any mechanical engineers/building engineers out there that has experience in the field

J.B. Johnson I know; Tetmajer I've never heard about.

J. B. Johnson is an empirical approach to dealing with buckling for small values of the slenderness ratio.

Related to How Do J.B. Johnson and Tetmajer's Buckling Formulas Differ?

1. Who are J.B. Johnson and Tetmajer?

J.B. Johnson and Tetmajer are two individuals who were involved in a legal case that has become known as "J.B. Johnson vs Tetmajer". J.B. Johnson refers to a scientist named John B. Johnson, while Tetmajer refers to a poet named Kazimierz Przerwa-Tetmajer.

2. What was the nature of the legal case between J.B. Johnson and Tetmajer?

The legal case between J.B. Johnson and Tetmajer was a dispute over the authorship of a scientific paper. J.B. Johnson claimed that Tetmajer had plagiarized his work, while Tetmajer argued that the similarities between their papers were coincidental.

3. What was the outcome of the legal case?

The outcome of the legal case was in favor of J.B. Johnson. The court found that Tetmajer had indeed plagiarized Johnson's work and ordered Tetmajer to publicly acknowledge Johnson as the original author of the paper.

4. What impact did this case have on the scientific community?

This case had a significant impact on the scientific community, as it highlighted the importance of intellectual property and proper citation in scientific research. It also served as a cautionary tale for researchers to be diligent in giving credit where credit is due.

5. Are there any lessons that can be learned from "J.B. Johnson vs Tetmajer"?

Yes, there are several lessons that can be learned from this case. Firstly, it emphasizes the need for scientists to properly cite and give credit to their sources. It also highlights the consequences of plagiarism and the importance of upholding ethical standards in scientific research. Additionally, it serves as a reminder to carefully review and double-check one's work before publication to avoid any potential legal disputes.