How do I take results from an exponential saturation curve?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of data points or a non-linear fit to calculate results for a lab report on magnetic flux density. The individual has tried both methods and found that using the non-linear fit gives results closer to tabulated values, but is unsure if this is the correct approach. It is mentioned that using the values from the curve may be more accurate if the curve is a good fit, and that intermediate values can also be used. However, if the curve does not fit well, it should not be used.
elevenb

Homework Statement

I have been working on a lab report recently in which I took some data and then further used this data to gather results.

I was plotting magnetic flux density as a function of current, this turned out to be an exponential saturation curve. I plotted this curve using a package at university.

My question is, do I use my original data points to calculate my results, or do I use the data that the non-linear fit gives me?

Homework Equations

[/B]
Y=b1*(1-exp(-b2*x)) -> My equation for the linear fit

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried both, the results from the equation seem to give results closer to tabulated values; however I am wondering is this the correct way to go about the experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate which results? In general, if the curve is a good fit, using its values is probably more accurate as some measurement uncertainties can average out. In addition, you are not limited to data points - you can use intermediate values as well. If the curve doesn't fit well, do not use it.

Related to How do I take results from an exponential saturation curve?

1. How do I interpret the results from an exponential saturation curve?

The results from an exponential saturation curve can be interpreted by looking at the curve's shape and the values of the variables. The curve should start at a low value and gradually increase until it reaches a plateau. The plateau represents the maximum possible value for the dependent variable. The curve's steepness also indicates the rate of change for the dependent variable as the independent variable increases.

2. How do I determine the saturation point from an exponential saturation curve?

The saturation point can be determined by analyzing the curve and identifying the point where it reaches a plateau. This can also be determined by calculating the maximum value of the dependent variable from the data points.

3. How do I use the results from an exponential saturation curve to make predictions?

The results from an exponential saturation curve can be used to make predictions by extrapolating the curve and estimating the values for the dependent variable at higher or lower values of the independent variable. However, it is important to note that extrapolation may not always be accurate and should be done with caution.

4. How do I know if an exponential saturation curve is a good fit for my data?

The goodness of fit for an exponential saturation curve can be determined by calculating the coefficient of determination (R2) value. This value indicates how well the data points fit the curve, with a higher value indicating a better fit. Additionally, visual inspection of the curve can also help determine the goodness of fit.

5. Can I use an exponential saturation curve for all types of data?

Exponential saturation curves are best suited for data that follows an exponential growth pattern, where there is a rapid increase in the dependent variable with increasing values of the independent variable. This type of curve may not be suitable for data that follows a linear or logarithmic pattern. It is important to choose the appropriate curve for your data to ensure accurate results.