How Do I Start Programming in Fortran 95 for a Math Problem?

In summary, the individual needs help with a program that will calculate the answer to a math problem. They have stated that they are not skilled in Fortran and have been asked to provide more specific details about their objective, input, expected output, and whether they could complete the assignment using a different programming language. They have also been asked about their current knowledge and experience with Fortran.
memo2
Please help in the work of this program :

http://www.picpanda.com/

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you be more specific?

Before anyone can help you, you have to help yourself a bit. What are you trying to do? What have you done already? What problems are you experiencing? Etc.

The question is :
Write a program that will calculate the answer to this math problem.

I'm not skillful in Fortran

You need to provide greater detail in describing your objective. Provide details of the input, for example. Describe the expected output as well. Is Fortran your only issue? Could you do the assignment if you used a programming language of your choice? If you have zero programming knowledge, what manual steps would you have to do to arrive at the result?

memo2 said:
The question is :
Write a program that will calculate the answer to this math problem.
I'm not skillful in Fortran
Then start right at the beginning.

- Do you currently have a functioning Fortran compiler.

- Can you (have you) written something like a "hello word" program to verify you have the very basics of a program outline understood.

- Can you write any simple program, say to input two numbers and display their sum and product.

You've got to give us some idea or where you are currently at with Fortran, more than what you're so far given us which is basically "this is what I've got to do and I know nothing".

Related to How Do I Start Programming in Fortran 95 for a Math Problem?

1. What is Fortran 95?

Fortran 95 is a high-level programming language used for scientific and engineering applications. It is an updated version of the Fortran programming language, and it includes several new features such as improved array handling, dynamic memory allocation, and better support for object-oriented programming.

2. What is a work program in Fortran 95?

A work program in Fortran 95 is a set of instructions written in the Fortran 95 programming language to perform a specific task. It is used to solve complex problems in various fields, including mathematics, physics, chemistry, and engineering. Work programs can range from simple calculations to more complex simulations and data analysis.

3. Is Fortran 95 still widely used in scientific research?

Yes, Fortran 95 is still widely used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as computational physics, weather forecasting, and computational chemistry. Its efficient handling of arrays and its ability to perform complex mathematical calculations make it a popular choice for scientific programming.

4. What are the advantages of using Fortran 95 for scientific programming?

Fortran 95 offers several advantages for scientific programming, including its ability to handle large and complex arrays efficiently, its high-level syntax that allows for easy expression of mathematical equations, and its well-established libraries for scientific computing. It also has a long history of use in scientific research, making it a reliable and trusted language for scientific programming.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fortran 95 for scientific programming?

While Fortran 95 has many advantages for scientific programming, it also has some limitations. One of the main limitations is its lack of support for modern programming concepts such as dynamic memory allocation and parallel computing. Other limitations include its limited support for string handling and its strict syntax that can be challenging for beginners to learn.