How Do I Solve This Quadratic Inequality Correctly?

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, when solving the inequality $2x^2 + 4x \ge x^2 - x - 6$, we can rewrite it as $x^2+5x+6 \ge 0$ and factor it to get $(x+2)(x+3) \ge 0$. Since this is the product of two expressions, it can only be non-negative if either both expressions are $\ge 0$ or both are $\le 0$. Therefore, the solution to the inequality is $x \in (-\infty, -3] \cup [-2, \infty)$.
tmt1
I'm working on this problem.

$$2x^2 + 4x \ge x^2 - x - 6$$

I got here

$$2x -x \ge -3$$

But I don't know how to go from here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmm, care to show how you got there because I think you've made an error. The $x^2$ terms don't disappear in this problem. Try moving all the terms to the left hand side and tell me what you get. :)

beginner, having a crack at problem

$$2x^2+4x\ge x^2-x-6$$
$$\implies x^2+5x+6\ge 0$$
$$\implies (x+2)(x+3)\ge 0$$
$$\implies x \ge-2 $$
$$ or \ x \ge -3$$

I have feeling that it should be:
$$ \ or \ x \le -3$$
but don't know the reason.
Could someone please explain?

Last edited:
Your approach is correct until line #4. $(x + 2)(x + 3) \geq 0$ doesn't mean both of the factors $x + 2$ and $x + 3$ have to be $\geq 0$.

$a \cdot b \geq 0$ implies that either both of $a$ and $b$ are positive or both of $a$ and $b$ are negative (positive times negative is negative, so it can't be the case that one of $a, b$ is positive and another is negative).

Thus, either $x + 2 \geq 0, x + 3 \geq 0$ or $x + 2 \leq 0, x + 3 \leq 0$. In the first case we get, by rearranging, $x \geq -2, x \geq -3$ and in the second case, similarly, $x \leq -2, x \leq -3$.

Now $x \geq -2$ automatically implies $x \geq -3$, so knowing $x \leq -3$ is superfluous information : the relevant conclusion is $x \geq -2$.

Similarly, $x \leq -3$ automatically implies $x \leq -2$. So $x \leq -2$ is superfluous, and the information of interest is $x \leq -3$.

Hence, the inequality holds if and only if $x \geq -2$ or $x \leq -3$. In mathematical notation, the solution of the inequality is $x \in (-\infty, -3] \cup [-2, \infty)$.

Lebec said:
$$2x^2+4x\ge x^2-x-6$$
$$\implies x^2+5x+6\ge 0$$
$$\implies (x+2)(x+3)\ge 0$$
$$\implies x \ge-2 $$
$$ or \ x \ge -3$$

I have feeling that it should be:
$$ \ or \ x \le -3$$
but don't know the reason.
Could someone please explain?

Yes, you are good at:

\(\displaystyle (x+2)(x+3)\ge0\)

We know the expression on the left is a parabola opening up, and having roots at $x=-3,-2$. Therefore it must be non-negative on:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,-3]\,\cup\,[-2,\infty)\)

Related to How Do I Solve This Quadratic Inequality Correctly?

1. What is the inequality problem and why is it important to solve?

The inequality problem refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and wealth among individuals and groups in society. It is important to solve because it can lead to social and economic injustices, hinder societal progress, and negatively impact the well-being and quality of life of those who are disadvantaged.

2. What are some examples of inequality and how does it affect society?

Examples of inequality include income inequality, educational inequality, and healthcare inequality. These inequalities can result in limited access to resources and opportunities for certain groups, widening the gap between the rich and the poor, and perpetuating cycles of poverty and social disadvantage. It can also lead to social tensions and divisions within society.

3. How can we measure and track inequality?

Inequality can be measured through various indicators such as the Gini coefficient, which measures income inequality, and the Human Development Index, which measures overall well-being and access to resources. These measures can be tracked over time to monitor changes in inequality and inform policies and interventions to address it.

4. What are some solutions to reduce inequality?

Solutions to reduce inequality can include implementing policies and programs that promote equal opportunities, reducing barriers to education and employment, providing social safety nets for those in need, and addressing systemic issues that perpetuate inequality. Additionally, promoting fair and inclusive economic growth can also help reduce inequality.

5. What role can scientists play in addressing the inequality problem?

Scientists can play a crucial role in addressing the inequality problem by conducting research and providing evidence-based solutions to policymakers. They can also use their expertise to raise awareness and educate the public about the impacts and root causes of inequality. Scientists can also be advocates for marginalized communities and use their influence to promote policies and initiatives that promote equality and social justice.