How Do I Solve These Physics Problems for My Exam Tomorrow?

In summary, the person is trying to figure out how far and in what direction they traveled to get to the restaurant.
B Serious
Physics exam tommarow NEED HELP!

hows it going, I am new to this forum and want to know how to do these problems for my exam tomorrow, thanks for the help in advance let's get to the questions:

1) three vectors have x and y component vectors as shown in the table below:
what is the magnitude of the resultant vector of: s+t+U?

x y

s -2.5 +4.5

T +3.0 -1.5

U +5.5 + 5.0

the choices for the answers are A)4.9 B)24 C)10 D)18 apparently the answer is C) but i am not sure how to get that

2) a boat, whose speed in still water is 8.0m/s, is moving up a river(against the current). If the speed of the current is 6.0m/s, how far up the river will the boat be 4.0 seconds later, relative to land?

A)4.0m B)8.0 C)16.0m D) 32.0m

Not sure how to do this problem but the answer is apparently B)

Physics news on Phys.org

3) a stone is thrown horizontally with an initial speed of 20m/s from the edge of a vertical cliff that overlooks the river below. if it takes exactly 6 seconds for the stone to reach the river, how high is the cliff? how far from the base of the cliff did the stone hit the water?

list of y values known, and a list of x values known?
Values to find:
equation(s):
show your complete solution to the problem here using the equation(s) you identified above:

Welcome to PF!

B Serious said:
hows it going, I am new to this forum and want to know how to do these problems for my exam tomorrow, thanks for the help in advance let's get to the questions:

1) three vectors have x and y component vectors as shown in the table below:
what is the magnitude of the resultant vector of: s+t+U?

Code:
                 x                y

s              -2.5             +4.5

T              +3.0            -1.5

U              +5.5            + 5.0

the choices for the answers are A)4.9 B)24 C)10 D)18 apparently the answer is C) but i am not sure how to get that

2) a boat, whose speed in still water is 8.0m/s, is moving up a river(against the current). If the speed of the current is 6.0m/s, how far up the river will the boat be 4.0 seconds later, relative to land?

A)4.0m B)8.0 C)16.0m D) 32.0m

Not sure how to do this problem but the answer is apparently B)

Hi B Serious! Welcome to PF! :smile:

1) how far did you get?

What is S + T + U?

2) how fast is the boat going relative to the land?

4) you are following directions that a friend has given you to a restaurant from your home. First, you are instructed to go due South for 4.5km, then turn left onto Main Street and go east for 2.6km. at this point, you are told to take Maple Street which runs 30 degrees west of north for 4km to the restaurant. At dinner, you mention to your friends that it seems like you are almost back to where you started. They all agree so you decide to determine how far, and in what direction, you could have traveled to go straight to the restaurant. Assume no buildings or other structures will prevent you from going directly from your home to the restaurant. Include a sketch of the entire path actually traveled. Also sketch the path you could have taken to go straight to your destination.

show your full and completely documented solution here using the techniques and conventions discussed in class.

tiny-tim said:
Hi B Serious! Welcome to PF! :smile:

1) how far did you get?

What is S + T + U?

not to far...s, t, u have an arrow over each of them i guess there vectors, and for the second question all that is stated is what i posted.. not sure if that helps but thanks again

B Serious said:
.. not sure if that helps …

I don't need help! :rolleyes:

I'll ask again:

1) what is S + T + U?

tiny-tim said:
I don't need help! :rolleyes:

I'll ask again:

1) what is S + T + U?

ok i got you the boat is going 2m/s relative to the land, so you times that by 4 and you get 8

can you give me some help on the other problems

B Serious said:
3) a stone is thrown horizontally with an initial speed of 20m/s from the edge of a vertical cliff that overlooks the river below. if it takes exactly 6 seconds for the stone to reach the river, how high is the cliff? how far from the base of the cliff did the stone hit the water?

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

well i know that you would do 20 times 6 because the velocity would be constant throughout so the answer would be 120m/s...but I am just not sure how to set up the problem with the known values and the values to find out.

B Serious said:
well i know that you would do 20 times 6 because the velocity would be constant throughout so the answer would be 120m/s...but I am just not sure how to set up the problem with the known values and the values to find out.

This doesn't make sense: you can't just multiple numbers together willy-nilly. What are you trying to calculate here?

cristo said:
This doesn't make sense: you can't just multiple numbers together willy-nilly. What are you trying to calculate here?

trying to figure out the problem?

Related to How Do I Solve These Physics Problems for My Exam Tomorrow?

What topics should I study for the physics exam tomorrow?

It is important to review all the major topics covered in your physics class, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. Make sure to focus on the areas that you struggle with the most.

How should I prepare for the physics exam tomorrow?

Start by reviewing your class notes, textbooks, and any study guides provided by your teacher. Practice solving problems and equations, and make sure to understand the concepts behind them. You can also try studying with a group or using online resources for additional help.

What equations should I memorize for the physics exam tomorrow?

It is important to have a good understanding of all the equations covered in your class, but some common ones to remember include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, and equations for calculating velocity, acceleration, and force.

How can I manage my time effectively during the physics exam tomorrow?

Start by reading through the entire exam and identifying the questions that you feel most confident about. Then, move on to the more challenging ones. Don't spend too much time on one question, and make sure to leave enough time to review your answers before submitting the exam.

What are some tips for staying calm and focused during the physics exam tomorrow?

Make sure to get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast before the exam. Take deep breaths and stay positive. If you get stuck on a question, move on to the next one and come back to it later. Remember to trust in your preparation and trust in yourself.