How do I solve: p(t)f''(t)+q(t)f'(t)=Kf(t) ?

• Thread starter simplex
  • Start date
In summary: K=[-1 1] -> f(t) exists and it is not zero K=[-2 3] -> f(t) does not exists K=[-3 5] -> f(t) exists and it is not zeroetc.
simplex
How do I solve the equation: p(t)f''(t)+q(t)f'(t)=Kf(t) ?

I have the equation: p(t)f''(t)+q(t)f'(t)=Kf(t) that results from a problem of physics.
- p(t) and q(t) are two known periodical functions of period T
- f(t) is an unknown function
- K is an unknown constant

What I need is to determine all the possible values of these K constants with the intention of finding the real ones if they exists.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried Fourier series like this?

[tex]f(t) = \sum {a_n cos(\frac{n\pi t}{T})+b_n sin(\frac{n\pi t}{T})[/tex]

Note that the fundamental frequency of the above series is half of that of p(t) and q(t).

simplex said:
How do I solve the equation: p(t)f''(t)+q(t)f'(t)=Kf(t) ?

I have the equation: p(t)f''(t)+q(t)f'(t)=Kf(t) that results from a problem of physics.
- p(t) and q(t) are two known periodical functions of period T
- f(t) is an unknown function
- K is an unknown constant

What I need is to determine all the possible values of these K constants with the intention of finding the real ones if they exists.

If we let y(t)=f(t) then your equation is a linear homogeneous DE.
p(t)y''+q(t)y' - Ky = 0.

But you are not particularly interested with the solution f(t), aren't you ?
The existence theorem may be useful here I think! What is the initial condition?

Out of curiousity, where's the physics? This is math.

flatmaster said:
I agree with wywrong in attempting a Fourier series solution. However, I would use the complex exponential form of the Sin and Cos to make your math cleaner.

Flatmaster is right. Complex exponential form is better. And I think whatever k's value is, there is a general solution of the form

[tex]f(t)=\sum{a_n e^{(r_n+in\omega)t}}[/tex]

where [tex]\omega=\pi/T[/tex].

For [tex]r_n<0[/tex], those components will die down. If there are [tex]r_n>0[/tex], the system will be unstable as those components will increase exponentially. For frequency components with [tex]r_n=0[/tex], they will be the steady state solutions. To be stable, k can assume a large range of values. To have steady state solutions, k can only assume discrete values. For those k's any slight change in k or p or q may render the system unstable, unless your system is non-linear beyond certain amplitude.

P.S. My username is wywong, not wywrong B:).

Thank you. Your idea with using Fourier series was good. Finally I investigated this method (reading documentation on the internet) and I come up with continuous domains of K for which the equality p(t)f''(t)+q(t)f'(t)=Kf(t) can take place.

For instance if:
K=[0 1] -> f(t) exists and it is not zero
K=(1 4] -> f(t) does not exists
K=(4-8] -> f(t) exists and it is not zero

Related to How do I solve: p(t)f''(t)+q(t)f'(t)=Kf(t) ?

What is the meaning of p(t), q(t), and K in this equation?

In this equation, p(t), q(t), and K are all constants that represent different factors in the function. P(t) represents the coefficient of the second derivative of the function, q(t) represents the coefficient of the first derivative, and K represents the constant term.

How do I determine the order of the differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is determined by the highest derivative present in the equation. In this case, since the highest derivative is the second derivative, the order of the equation is 2.

What are the steps to solving this type of differential equation?

The first step is to separate the terms of the equation so that all the derivatives are on one side and all the other terms are on the other side. Then, you can use methods such as substitution, integration, or separation of variables to solve for the unknown function f(t).

Can this type of differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this type of differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the solution to a differential equation is not unique and can depend on the initial conditions of the problem.

What are some real-life applications of this type of differential equation?

This type of differential equation can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, or the spread of a disease. It is also commonly used in engineering and physics to describe systems that involve acceleration and velocity.