How Do I Solve for x and y Using Simultaneous Equations?

• Thread starter MadmanMurray
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a simultaneous equation with a linear and quadratic equation. The individual is trying to substitute the linear equation into the quadratic to get two simultaneous quadratic equations, but is unsure if they need to do it twice more. They have been working on the question for half an hour and are unsure if they are doing it correctly. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a technique for solving quadratic equations to find the value of y.
MadmanMurray
Crazy Simultaneous Equation ?!?

Homework Statement

Solve for x and y
1)2x - 3y = 1
2)x2 - 2xy - 3y2 = -3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted the linear equation into the quadratic and got a quadratic with only y in it:
3.) 15y2 - 2y = 13

I then substituted the linear into eq3 and got a quadratic with only x in it:
4.) 5x2 - 6x = 9

Do I need substitute that linear into these quadratics twice more so I get 2 simultaneous quadratics with only x in them and 2 quadratics with only y in them?

I've been on this question for about half an hour now but this is a sample question from a test so there's no way I could spend that long on a single question on a test. I must be doing it wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

where is eqn 3?
You say it has only y in it why aren't you solving it then?

Its a quadratic if has y^2 and y. I'll edit the post and put in all the equations I got

3.) 15y2 - 2y = 13
Looks good! The rest is easy - just use one of your techniques for solving a quadratic equation to find the number(s) for y.

Ah yea I didn't even think of factorizing or anything like that. Thanks.

Related to How Do I Solve for x and y Using Simultaneous Equations?

What is a Crazy Simultaneous Equation?

A Crazy Simultaneous Equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and is solved by finding the values of all the variables at the same time.

Why is it called "crazy"?

The term "crazy" in Crazy Simultaneous Equation refers to the complexity and difficulty of solving such equations. They often involve a large number of variables and require advanced mathematical skills to solve.

What are some real-life applications of Crazy Simultaneous Equations?

Crazy Simultaneous Equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model complex systems and solve problems with multiple unknown variables.

What are some strategies for solving Crazy Simultaneous Equations?

There are several strategies for solving Crazy Simultaneous Equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. It is important to carefully analyze the equations and choose the most efficient method for solving them.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Crazy Simultaneous Equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Crazy Simultaneous Equations include incorrectly setting up the equations, making algebraic errors, and forgetting to check the solutions for accuracy. It is important to double-check your work and be meticulous in your calculations.