How do I solve for the angle, as a function?

In summary: What vector represents the position of Mars relative to Earth?In summary, the student is trying to solve for the angle between Earth and Mars, but is having difficulty visualizing the equations. They need help relating the equations to a diagram.
Phantoful

Homework Statement

ATTACH]
EIFxygQ.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
The two equations in the image, as well as (maybe) standard vector operations like dot product, cross product.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So, I've tried to do what my instructor suggested and put everything in terms of Earth (Using RE and TE, but I'm not sure what to do from there as it doesn't seem that I'm progressing towards the solution. I've also tried to graph these functions, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that both the x and y vectors also have parameter t (time), so I'm not sure if graphing is the way to solve it. The main goal I've tried was to solve for theta, which doesn't seem possible because of the equations for x and y being split...

Attachments

• EIFxygQ.png
    EIFxygQ.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 195
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you express the desired angle in terms of the two vectors, ##\vec R_M, \vec R_E##? I.e., as a vector equation?

haruspex said:
Can you express the desired angle in terms of the two vectors, ##\vec R_M, \vec R_E##?
I would think I'd need to do the dot product using |A|*|B|cosθ and then calculate theta, but would it even be possible to find the magnitude? The vectors are changing over time and I don't know how to account for that.

Edit: Sorry, re-read your question. Would I have to convert these 'parametric equations' to an x-y equation, and then graph?

Phantoful said:
the dot product using |A|*|B|cosθ
Dot product, yes, but not using that formula to find it. How do you perform a dot product on two vectors that are expressed in the same orthonormal basis?

haruspex said:
Dot product, yes, but not using that formula to find it. How do you perform a dot product on two vectors that are expressed in the same orthonormal basis?
I can also add after multiplying the x's and the y's, but that would be a scalar, is that what I want? So I'm adding cos(2π(t/TM))*cos(2π(t/TE))+sin(2π(t/TM))*sin(2π(t/TE)), or is it the (u⋅v/v⋅v)v equation?

Phantoful said:
I can also add after multiplying the x's and the y's, but that would be a scalar, is that what I want? So I'm adding cos(2π(t/TM))*cos(2π(t/TE))+sin(2π(t/TM))*sin(2π(t/TE)), or is it the (u⋅v/v⋅v)v equation?
Sorry, I think I've led you off in the wrong direction. Let's start again.

Draw a diagram of the Sun, Earth and Mars at some instant in the coordinate system given. Say we label the points S, E, M, and the distant star that fixes the X axis call P.
You can easily relate 2π(t/TE) and 2π(t/TM) to angles in the diagram, right?
What angle are you asked to find?

haruspex said:
Sorry, I think I've led you off in the wrong direction. Let's start again.

Draw a diagram of the Sun, Earth and Mars at some instant in the coordinate system given. Say we label the points S, E, M, and the distant star that fixes the X axis call P.
You can easily relate 2π(t/TE) and 2π(t/TM) to angles in the diagram, right?
What angle are you asked to find?
I'm not actually sure of 'what' angle I need to find, which is my big problem, because I can't visualize this well so I'm depending on the mathematics. The question says "Derive a formula for which we see Mars from Earth. This should be an angle with respect to the
Inline5.gif
-axis." I can't easily relate the equations to the diagram, because I don't have a clue what these should look like.

Attachments

• Inline5.gif
    Inline5.gif
    289 bytes · Views: 741
This question will be the end of me...

Phantoful said:
I'm not actually sure of 'what' angle I need to find, which is my big problem, because I can't visualize this well so I'm depending on the mathematics. The question says "Derive a formula for which we see Mars from Earth. This should be an angle with respect to the View attachment 219525-axis." I can't easily relate the equations to the diagram, because I don't have a clue what these should look like.
Did you draw the diagram as I described?
What we are after is the angle that the line from Earth to Mars makes to the x axis.
We have vector representations for the positions of Earth and Mars. What vector represents the position of Mars relative to Earth?

Related to How do I solve for the angle, as a function?

1. How do I determine the angle given a function?

To solve for the angle as a function, you will need to use the inverse trigonometric functions (sin^-1, cos^-1, tan^-1). Depending on the given function, you will use one of these inverse functions to solve for the angle.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve for the angle?

Yes, most scientific calculators have the inverse trigonometric functions built in. You can use these functions to solve for the angle given the function.

3. What if the function has multiple solutions for the angle?

If the function has multiple solutions for the angle, you will need to use the general solution for the inverse trigonometric function. This will give you all possible solutions for the angle.

4. Is there a specific order I should solve for the angle?

It is helpful to first isolate the trigonometric function, then use the inverse function to solve for the angle. You may need to use algebraic manipulation to isolate the function before solving for the angle.

5. Can I solve for the angle without using inverse trigonometric functions?

In most cases, it is not possible to solve for the angle without using inverse trigonometric functions. However, if the function is a special right triangle or has specific values for the angles, you may be able to use basic trigonometric functions to find the angle.