How do I solve for non-negative integers x and y?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the approach for solving for non-negative integers x and y involves using algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning to find a solution that satisfies the given constraints. These integers typically represent variables or unknown quantities in an equation or system of equations, and can only take on values of 0 or positive whole numbers. If there are multiple solutions, it is important to check that each one satisfies the constraints, and different methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing can be used to solve for these integers.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Solve for non-negative integers $x$ and $y$ of $\sqrt{xy}=\sqrt{x+y}+\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}$.

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to castor28 for his correct solution(Cool), which you can find below:
There is an obvious solution $x=y=0$; furthermore, as the radicals are positive, if $x=0$ then $y=0$ and conversely. We assume now that $x$ and $y$ are different from $0$.

We write the equation as:
$$
\sqrt{x+y} = \sqrt{xy} - \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{y}
$$
After squaring and simplifying, we get:
$$
xy = 2\sqrt{xy}(\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{y} - 1)
$$
and, since we assumed that $xy\ne0$,
\begin{align*}
\sqrt{xy}&=2(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{y}-1)\\
(\sqrt{x}-2)(\sqrt{y}-2) &= 2
\end{align*}
This shows that $\sqrt{x}$ and $\sqrt{y}$ are both rational or both irrational. If they are irrational, they must belong to the same quadratic field; this implies that $y = q^2x$ for some rational number $q$.

Substituting in the equation, we get:
$$
qx - 2(q+1)\sqrt{x} + 2 = 0
$$

and this shows that the algebraic integers $\sqrt{x}$ and $\sqrt{y}$ are actually rational integers.

Writing $u=\sqrt{x}$ and $v=\sqrt{y}$, we get the equation:
$$
(u-2)(v-2) = 2
$$
to be solved in non-negative integers $u$ and $v$. One of the factors must be equal to $\pm1$ and the other must be equal to $\pm2$ (with the same sign). In terms of $u$ and $v$, this gives the solutions $(u,v)$ = $(3,4)$, $(4,3)$, $(0,1)$ and $(1,0)$, corresponding to $(x,y)$ = $(9,19)$, $(16,9)$, $(0,1)$ and $(1,0)$.

The first two solutions satisfy the original equation; the last two solutions are extraneous solutions introduced by the initial squaring.

To summarize, the only solutions in $(x,y)$ are $(0,0)$, $(9,16)$ and $(16,9)$.

Related to How do I solve for non-negative integers x and y?

1. How do I solve for non-negative integers x and y if given an equation with two variables?

To solve for non-negative integers x and y, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. First, choose one of the variables and solve for it in terms of the other variable. Then, substitute this expression into the other variable's equation and solve for the remaining variable. Repeat this process until you have solved for both variables.

2. Can I use trial and error to solve for non-negative integers x and y?

Yes, trial and error can be used to solve for non-negative integers x and y. However, this method can be time-consuming and may not always guarantee the correct solution. It is recommended to use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination for more efficient and accurate results.

3. What do I do if I get a negative number when solving for non-negative integers x and y?

If you get a negative number when solving for non-negative integers x and y, it means that there is no solution for the given equation. This can happen if the equation is inconsistent or if the solution involves non-integer values. In these cases, there is no way to solve for non-negative integers x and y.

4. Is there a specific order to follow when solving for non-negative integers x and y?

There is no specific order to follow when solving for non-negative integers x and y. However, it is important to keep track of all the steps and make sure that each step is done accurately. It is also recommended to simplify the equations as much as possible before solving for the variables.

5. Can I use matrices to solve for non-negative integers x and y?

Yes, matrices can be used to solve for non-negative integers x and y. This method is known as the matrix method and involves representing the equations in matrix form and using matrix operations to solve for the variables. This method can be useful for solving systems of equations with multiple variables.