How do I solve for B in this moment and vector homework?

In summary, the problem is trying to solve for B using the moments around point A. The sign convention for the moments has a contradiction when you say 32 kn force horizontal component's moment is negative with respect to A, and then the y component's moment is positive with respect to A, when both are counterclockwise.
ThomasHW

Homework Statement

http://www.tunerspec.ca/school/question_oct16.jpg

Homework Equations

M=FD

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.tunerspec.ca/school/work_oct16.jpg

I'm having trouble solving for B by adding the moments about the point A. I am getting an answer of 4.31kN for the force of B (as you can see on the bottom of my work,) but this is wrong.

Can someone please help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your sign convention for the moments has a contradiction when you say 32 kn force horizontal component's moment is negative with respect to A, and then the y component's moment is positive with respect to A, when both are counterclockwise.

Isn't the y-component trying to rotate it counterclockwise, while the x-component is trying to rotate it clockwise?

ThomasHW said:
Isn't the y-component trying to rotate it counterclockwise, while the x-component is trying to rotate it clockwise?

Both are rotating the body counterclockwise if A is the fixed point, or where the axis of rotation goes through. Imagine the body rotating about A, and the influence of the components.

Another way to see this is by projecting the line of action of the x component of the force until it intersects the body. (it'll be 200 mm under A)

Ahh, okay. So I have the 34kN sign convention correct? It's kind of confusing deciding which way you think it'll go.

Another question... is B negative? If so, can you explain why?

ThomasHW said:
Ahh, okay. So I have the 34kN sign convention correct? It's kind of confusing deciding which way you think it'll go.

Yes is correct.

It can be confusing, but if you always PROJECT the line of action of the forces, you will know. Remember the transmissibility principle of Statics, a force can move along its line of actions without changing its external effects over a rigid body.

ThomasHW said:
Another question... is B negative? If so, can you explain why?

What do you mean by B negative? its moment about A?

What does projecting the line of action of the force tell me about the sign convention?

I'm working along a problem in my textbook which is exactly the same, except the angles and forces are SLIGHTLY different. It has Ay and B as being negative, and Ax as being positive. I figured out how Ay is negative (in my work) but I'm not seeing how Ax is positive if B is negative (Using the Fx equation at the top of the page in my work.)

ThomasHW said:
What does projecting the line of action of the force tell me about the sign convention?

I'm working along a problem in my textbook which is exactly the same, except the angles and forces are SLIGHTLY different. It has Ay and B as being negative, and Ax as being positive. I figured out how Ay is negative (in my work) but I'm not seeing how Ax is positive if B is negative (Using the Fx equation at the top of the page in my work.)

The truth is there's not such thing as "negative" in vectors, because forces are vectors and their magnitude (modulus) is always positive. Negative just means the force (vector) is in the "wrong" direction.

An example will be is your posted problem, in order to guarantee a null resultant force, the Ay vector must point downwards.

Thank you for the help! :)

Related to How do I solve for B in this moment and vector homework?

1. What are moments and vectors?

Moments and vectors are concepts used in physics and mathematics to describe the distribution of forces and the motion of objects. A moment is a measure of the turning effect of a force, while a vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

2. How are moments and vectors related?

Moments and vectors are related because moments are calculated by multiplying a force by its distance from a reference point, which can be represented as a vector. In other words, moments are a type of vector quantity that describes the rotational forces on an object.

3. How do you calculate moments and vectors?

To calculate a moment, you need to know the magnitude of the force and its distance from the reference point. The formula for moment is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance. Vectors can be calculated by representing them as arrows with a specific magnitude and direction, and then using vector addition and subtraction to combine or break down multiple vectors.

4. What are some real-world applications of moments and vectors?

Moments and vectors are used in many practical applications, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. They are used to analyze the structural stability of buildings, calculate the torque and angular momentum of rotating objects, and design machines and tools that can apply precise forces and movements.

5. What are some common misconceptions about moments and vectors?

One common misconception is that moments and vectors are only relevant in physics or engineering. In reality, they can be applied to various fields, including biology, economics, and even sports. Another misconception is that vectors only have direction and not magnitude, when in fact they have both. Additionally, many people mistakenly believe that moments only apply to circular or rotational motion, when they can also be used to describe linear motion.