How do I solve exponential equations?

• Thread starter ccvispartan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, we discussed solving exponential equations, specifically the equation 4^(x+1)+4^x=160. The correct answer for x is 2.5, but if you are having trouble finding the solution, you can start by expressing 4x+1 as 4*4x and 4x as 1*4x, and then collect the common terms on the left hand side. Finally, consider the expression a*b + a*c and apply the same method to your problem. This should give you the correct answer of 2.5.
ccvispartan
We are currently studying logarithmic and one of the subsection is on solving exponential equations.

I cannot, for the life of me, solve this equation or similar equations. My hopes are that some of you guys can solve it for me and demonstrate the entire process.

The question is:

4^(x+1)+4^x=160

Correct answer of x is 2.5 but i do not know how to get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by expressing 4x+1 as 4*4x and 4x as 1*4x. Now collect the common term on the left hand. Can you see the rest?

D H said:
Start by expressing 4x+1 as 4*4x and 4x as 1*4x. Now collect the common term on the left hand. Can you see the rest?

how do I actually collect like terms?

ccvispartan said:
how do I actually collect like terms?
Consider the expression a*b + a*c. Collect the common term. Now do the same to your problem.

D H said:

D H said:
Consider the expression a*b + a*c. Collect the common term. Now do the same to your problem.

5*4x? if that's the term then the equation gives me an answer of 1.5 rather than 2.5

No, it gives 2.5. Show your work.

Related to How do I solve exponential equations?

What are exponential equations?

Exponential equations are equations that involve a variable in the exponent. They have the general form of y = abx, where a and b are constants and x is the variable.

What is the process for solving exponential equations?

The process for solving exponential equations involves taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation. This allows you to bring the exponent down as a coefficient and solve for the variable using algebraic methods.

What is the difference between solving exponential equations algebraically and graphically?

Algebraic methods involve manipulating the equation algebraically to solve for the variable, while graphical methods involve plotting the points on a graph and finding the intersection point between the exponential function and a straight line.

How do you know when to use logarithms to solve an exponential equation?

You can use logarithms to solve an exponential equation when the variable is in the exponent, or when the equation can be rewritten in a form that is suitable for logarithms.

Can exponential equations have more than one solution?

Yes, exponential equations can have more than one solution. This is because exponential functions are not one-to-one, meaning that different values of x can result in the same value for y.