How do I solve an inequality with a quadratic function?

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the author is trying to solve an inequality, but is having trouble doing so. They have simplified the equation to see if there are any solutions and found that x is either -2 or 2.
tmt1
Hello,

I have this inequality:

$$-x^2 + 4 < 0$$

Then,

I get to

$$-(x-2)(x+2) < 0$$

Now, how do I solve this question from here.

I understand that x = -2, or x =2 but how do I use this to solve the inequality?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why not simplify by chucking out the $-$ sign first?

$$-x^2 + 4 < 0 \Longrightarrow -(x^2 - 4) < 0 \Longrightarrow x^2 - 4 > 0$$

Thus, $(x - 2)(x + 2) > 0$. Let's see, try a different approach this time. The expression vanishes at $x = 2$ and $x = -2$, so divide the interval $x \in [-\infty, \infty]$ up in the intervals $[-\infty, -2) \cup [-2, 2] \cup (2, \infty]$. Note that when $x \in [-2, 2]$, $(x - 2)(x + 2) \leq 0$. Can you determine the solutions then?

So the answer is ,

$$x \ge -2 $$ or $$x \le 2$$ ?

By the way , what is $$\in$$ so I can find more information about it?

Thanks

tmt said:
So the answer is ,

$$x \ge -2 $$ or $$x \le 2$$ ?

Unfortunately, no, that's not it. For example, pick up $x = 1$ (note that $1 \leq 2$ and $1 \geq - 2$). $-x^2 + 4 = -1 + 4 = 3$ which is NOT $< 0$.

By the way , what is $$\in$$ so I can find more information about it

It's the "belongs to" notation. If you're not familiar with intervals, I am afraid you'd have to do it in the usual way I've mentioned in similar questions before.

mathbalarka said:
Unfortunately, no, that's not it. For example, pick up $x = 1$ (note that $1 \leq 2$ and $1 \geq - 2$). $-x^2 + 4 = -1 + 4 = 3$ which is NOT $< 0$.
It's the "belongs to" notation. If you're not familiar with intervals, I am afraid you'd have to do it in the usual way I've mentioned in similar questions before.
Okay, so it is the opposite of what I said (I think):

$$x \le -2 $$ or $$x \ge 2$$

That is indeed that case (Yes) but can you explain why?

mathbalarka said:
That is indeed that case (Yes) but can you explain why?

Well, I can in this case, as you pointed out, anything between -2 and 2 would not solve the inequality. Whereas, less than -2 would fulfill the inequality as would greater than 2, they both share the same result since $$-x^2 = -(-x)^2$$

Yes, well, in general, if any function $f(x)$ has a root (a solution to $f(x) = 0$) at $x = x_0$, then $f(x)$ "changes sign" in the neighborhood of $x = x_0$ , i.e., $\text{sgn}(f(x))$ changes from $1$ to $-1$ or $-1$ to $1$ as $x$ moves from $a$ to $b$ for some sufficiently small interval $(a, b)$ containing $x_0$.

That is the fact I used for $f(x) = x^2 - 4$, noting that the only roots occur at $x = -2$ and $x = 2$.

Related to How do I solve an inequality with a quadratic function?

What is a simple inequality problem?

A simple inequality problem is a mathematical problem that involves comparing two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. The goal is to determine which quantity is larger or smaller.

How do I solve a simple inequality problem?

To solve a simple inequality problem, you need to follow a few basic steps. First, isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol. Then, use inverse operations to simplify the inequality until you have a solution. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.

What are the common mistakes people make when solving simple inequality problems?

Some common mistakes people make when solving simple inequality problems include forgetting to flip the inequality symbol when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, not distributing correctly when there are parentheses, and not checking if the solution satisfies the original inequality.

Why are simple inequality problems important?

Simple inequality problems are important because they help us compare quantities and make decisions based on those comparisons. They are also used in many real-life situations, such as budgeting, planning, and problem-solving.

How can I improve my skills in solving simple inequality problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving simple inequality problems is through practice. You can find many online resources and practice problems to help you strengthen your understanding and skills. It is also helpful to review the basic rules and properties of inequalities to avoid common mistakes.