How Do I Solve a Natural Log for x?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a natural log for x, with the request for step-by-step instructions. The expert suggests using logarithm properties and solving backwards to get x by itself. The value of x is found to be 2.26388... with the help of quadratic equations. The original question is solved with the assistance of two experts, ending the struggle and praising their brilliance.
OpticDean
Please Help! Natural Log Question!

Here is the question that is bothering me:

I need to solve this natural log for x. Please I need step by step instructions on how to figure out x. Thanks very much.

ln (x) + ln (x+1) = 2

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the rules of logarithms: log(ab) = log a + log b

That's kind of the original point of logs, actually, if you remember.

So - do it backwards:

ln x + ln(x + 1) = ln(x(x+1)) = ln(x^2 + x) = 2

Does that get you far enough?

Use logarithm properties

[tex] \ln (AB) = \ln(A) + \ln(B) [/tex]

Yes, I was able to get that far, but how do I get X all by itself on one side, like [ x = blah, blah]

thanks

ln(a) = b implies a = e^b

[tex] x^2 + x = e^2 [/tex]

By e i mean antiln.

yes, so it becomes e^2 = x^2 + x

Now maybe my question is, what is the value of x, in order for that original equation to be true, x = ?

Thanks

Heh, Diane and myself seems to be helping almost in sync :smile:

Remember, Quadratic Equations.

[tex] Ax^2 + Bx + C = 0[/tex]

[tex] x^2 + x + (-e^2) = 0 [/tex]

I finally got it, x = 2.26388...

Thank you very much Cyclovenom and Diane, you've ended my day-long struggle (its pathetic i know, but its been a while)

You guys are brilliant :blushing:

Related to How Do I Solve a Natural Log for x?

1. What is the natural log function?

The natural log function, also known as the logarithm with base e, is a mathematical function used to describe the relationship between exponential growth and decay. It is represented as ln(x) or loge(x), where x is the input value.

2. What is the value of e in natural log?

The value of e, also known as Euler's number, is approximately 2.71828. It is a mathematical constant that is used as the base for the natural log function.

3. What is the difference between natural log and common log?

The natural log function has a base of e, while the common log function has a base of 10. This means that the natural log is the inverse of the exponential function with base e, while the common log is the inverse of the exponential function with base 10.

4. How is the natural log function used in science?

The natural log function is commonly used in science to model natural phenomena that involve exponential growth or decay, such as radioactive decay, population growth, and chemical reactions. It is also used in statistics and calculus to simplify calculations and solve equations.

5. Can the natural log of a negative number be calculated?

No, the natural log function is undefined for negative input values. This is because the natural log function is the inverse of the exponential function, and a negative number raised to any power will always result in a complex number. Therefore, the input value for the natural log function must be positive.