How do I solve 2 simultaneous equations using KVL?

• Thread starter Just_enough
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kvl
In summary: If these are your equations:32v-10ia+8ib = 0 and12ib+20v-8ia = 0then they are indeed identical with those in the worked example. All signs correspond.
Just_enough
« thread moved from technical forum; so template is absent »

So I'm trying to get a better understanding of KVL by looking up practice problem and I'm having some difficulties. I'm attempting to do this problem
loopcurrentmethod.gif

my first step is to get an equation for Ia (32v-10ia+8ib = 0) an Ib (12ib+20v-8ia = 0), adn then solve for either b or a first and plug into the other equation, but this is where the problem occurs. on the site http://fourier.eng.hmc.edu/e84/lectures/ch2/node2.html it got a current for each mesh to be something completely different. I was wondering how they got 4 and 1 for the currents?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked to see whether their answers satisfy your equations?

NascentOxygen said:
Have you checked to see whether their answers satisfy your equations?
What do you mean? That is a pratice example so I'm assuming their answers and equations are correct and if mine doesn't match up then I'm doing something wrong

Do yours "match up" or not?

NascentOxygen said:
Do yours "match up" or not?
at first, no and the only thing that didnt match up was that i got my 20v to be the opposite sign of what they had

Your equations are identical with theirs. You can multiply everything on both sides by –1 and the equation still holds.

NascentOxygen said:
Your equations are identical with theirs. You can multiply everything on both sides by –1 and the equation still holds.
no not what I mean, on the B side, i have all the other sign matching up except the 20v so multiply by -1 won't make it correct, but that's not my question I just want to know how they got their currents for each of the meshes

If these are your equations:
32v-10ia+8ib = 0 and
12ib+20v-8ia = 0
then they are indeed identical with those in the worked example. All signs correspond.

You are asking how to solve 2 simultaneous equations?

If we use yours, which I'll write out again neatly:
32 - 10ia + 8ib = 0 ... (i)

12ib + 20 - 8ia = 0 ... (ii)

Multiply eqn (i) by 4
Multiply eqn (ii) by -5

Then add the corresponding sides of both new equations, and the resultant term for ia has a coefficient of 0, i.e., ia disappears from the equation, and with only one unknown in the equation you can solve for it to find the value for ib.

Related to How do I solve 2 simultaneous equations using KVL?

1. What is KVL and why is it important?

KVL stands for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis. It states that the algebraic sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This law is important because it helps us understand and analyze complex electrical circuits.

2. How do you apply KVL in circuit analysis?

To apply KVL, you need to first identify a closed loop in the circuit. Then, you can use the law to write an equation by summing up all the voltages on the loop. This equation can be used to solve for unknown voltages or currents in the circuit.

3. Can KVL be applied to both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, KVL can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, the voltages must be represented as phasors instead of regular numbers, since they have both magnitude and phase.

4. What are the limitations of KVL?

KVL is based on the assumption that the circuit is electrically linear, meaning that the voltage-current relationship is constant. It also assumes that there are no time-varying magnetic fields in the circuit. These limitations can affect the accuracy of the results when analyzing non-linear or time-varying circuits.

5. How can understanding KVL help in designing circuits?

Understanding KVL can help in designing circuits by allowing us to predict and control the behavior of the circuit. By using KVL, we can determine the voltage drops across different components and ensure that the circuit operates within safe limits. This information is crucial in designing efficient and reliable circuits.