How do I simplify this resistor circuit for my homework?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit problem involving resistors in series and parallel. The person is having trouble combining the resistors and has been able to simplify the bottom branch, but is struggling with the rest. They mention that the top right resistor is shorted and that the center point and point b are the same. The final answer is 12 ohms.
exitwound

Homework Statement

Capture2.JPG

Homework Equations

Resistors in Series = R1 + R2 + R3... = Req
Resistors in Parallel = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ... = 1/Req

The Attempt at a Solution

Studying for a test. This sample exam went pretty well. I am having trouble with 3 out of the 20. I can't figure this one out.

The bottom branch can be combined to be Req = 30 + 30 = 60 Ohms

From there, I can't seem to find a way to combine the rest. I have the answer (B) but I can't collapse the circuit.

Physics news on Phys.org
The top right resistor is shorted out, so it has no effect. Imagine that it's erased from the diagram.
The center point and point b are the same point.
You have 30 in parallel with 30 in parallel with (30+30).
1/[(1/30) + (1/30) + (1/{30+30})] = 12 ohms.

Last edited:

To simplify this resistor circuit for your homework, you can follow these steps:

1. Identify any resistors that are in series (connected end to end). These can be combined by adding their resistance values together to get the equivalent resistance (Req).

2. Next, identify any resistors that are in parallel (connected side by side). These can be combined using the equation 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ... = 1/Req.

3. Repeat these steps until all resistors have been combined and the circuit is simplified.

In your specific example, the bottom branch can be combined to be Req = 30 + 30 = 60 Ohms. Then, you can combine the two remaining resistors in parallel using the equation above to get the final equivalent resistance.

Remember to always check your work by comparing the simplified circuit to the original one to ensure that the equivalent resistance is the same.

I hope this helps you with your homework!

Related to How do I simplify this resistor circuit for my homework?

1. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It acts as a barrier to the flow of electrons, which helps to control the amount of current that passes through a circuit.

2. How do you calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the ratio of voltage (V) to current (I), R = V/I. It can also be calculated using the color code bands on the resistor, which indicate the resistance value.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and variable resistor?

A fixed resistor has a set resistance value that cannot be changed, whereas a variable resistor (also known as a potentiometer) allows the resistance to be adjusted within a certain range. Variable resistors are often used for volume controls or dimmer switches.

4. Can resistors be connected in series or parallel?

Yes, resistors can be connected in series or parallel. When connected in series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. When connected in parallel, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn.

5. How do resistors affect the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit?

Resistors can be used to control the amount of current flowing to a light bulb in a circuit. By increasing the resistance, the current is reduced, resulting in a dimmer light. Similarly, decreasing the resistance will increase the current and make the light bulb brighter.