How do I rationalize the numerator in this expression?

• Thread starter msimard8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary, rationalizing an expression involves simplifying it by removing irrational numbers from the denominator. This is important as it makes the expression easier to work with and can aid in solving equations. The two common methods for rationalizing expressions are multiplying by the conjugate and using the quotient rule. However, not all expressions can be fully rationalized, and in some cases, partial rationalization may be necessary. In real-world situations, rationalizing expressions can be applied in various fields to simplify calculations and analyze data containing irrational values.
msimard8
The question states

Rationalize each of the following numerators to obtain and equivalent expression.

(sqroot(h^2+5h+4) -2 ) / h

How do i rationalize the numerator here.

I don't remember

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand your fraction with the conjugate of the numerator.

thanks a million

i feel dumb

actually I am not gettin the answer that matches the back

the ans in the back says

(h+5) / (sqroot(h^2+5h+4) +2)

i get like (h^2+5h -4) / h^2

Careful about that conjugate!
You are to multiply your fraction with:
[tex]1=\frac{\sqrt{h^{2}+5h+4}+2}{\sqrt{h^{2}+5h+4}+2}[/tex]

Related to How do I rationalize the numerator in this expression?

What exactly does it mean to "rationalize" an expression?

Rationalizing an expression means to simplify it so that there are no irrational numbers (such as square roots) in the denominator. This is achieved by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by a suitable expression.

Why is it important to rationalize expressions?

Rationalizing expressions can make them easier to work with and can help in solving equations or simplifying complex expressions. It also allows for a clearer understanding of the values involved in the expression.

What are the different methods for rationalizing expressions?

The two most common methods for rationalizing expressions are multiplying by the conjugate and using the quotient rule. The conjugate is found by changing the sign in the middle of the expression, while the quotient rule involves finding the reciprocal of the irrational term and multiplying it by the entire expression.

Can all expressions be rationalized?

No, there are certain expressions that cannot be fully rationalized, such as those with nested radicals or irrational numbers in both the numerator and denominator. In these cases, the expression may be partially rationalized to simplify it as much as possible.

How can rationalizing expressions be applied in real-world situations?

Rationalizing expressions can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance to simplify calculations and solve equations involving irrational numbers. It can also help in understanding and analyzing data that contains irrational values.