How do I quickly and easily interpolate a point on a chart without given data?

In summary, the conversation is about the process of interpolating a point on a chart for a thermo test. The conversation mentions looking at Wikipedia for help and also mentions a simpler equation for interpolation on a website, but notes that it may not always work. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to think of the data on a cartesian graph and use elementary algebra to find the missing coordinate.
usfz28
I completely forgot how to do this. I have a thermo test coming up and i will be interpolating a lot of data. What is the fastes/easiest way to interpolate a point on a chart not given?

Physics news on Phys.org
yea already looked at that...The first eq. on this site is much easier but someitmes it does not work http://engineering.union.edu/~brunob/mer026/Thermo%20intro%20interpolation.doc

Last edited by a moderator:
usfz28 on linear interpolation said:
someitmes it does not work
when is that?

Think of how the data would appear on a cartesian graph. Represent the two boundary points as a line. You only need simple elementary algebra about equations for a line to find the missing coordinate.

Related to How do I quickly and easily interpolate a point on a chart without given data?

1. What is interpolation and why is it important in scientific research?

Interpolation is the process of estimating unknown data points within a given set of known data points. It is important in scientific research because it allows researchers to fill in missing data and make predictions based on existing data.

2. How is interpolation different from extrapolation?

Interpolation involves estimating data points within a given range of known data, while extrapolation involves estimating data points beyond the known data range. Interpolation is generally considered more reliable because it is based on existing data, while extrapolation may involve making assumptions and can be more prone to error.

3. What are some common methods of interpolation used in scientific research?

Some common methods of interpolation include linear interpolation, polynomial interpolation, and spline interpolation. These methods vary in complexity and accuracy, and the choice of method often depends on the nature of the data and the research question being addressed.

4. Can interpolation be used to replace actual data points?

No, interpolation should not be used to replace actual data points. While it can help fill in missing data and make predictions, it is not a substitute for actual data. Interpolation is only as accurate as the existing data, and relying solely on interpolated data can lead to erroneous conclusions.

5. How can I determine the accuracy of an interpolated data point?

The accuracy of an interpolated data point can be determined by comparing it to the actual data, if available. Additionally, the method of interpolation used and the range of known data can also affect the accuracy. It is important to understand the limitations of interpolation and to use it carefully in conjunction with other data analysis methods.