How Do I Perform Error Analysis in a Pendulum Experiment?

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with error analysis for an assignment that is due soon. They have completed everything except for the error analysis and are unsure of how to calculate relative and absolute errors. They have conducted an experiment with a pendulum and have measured the local acceleration of gravity by dropping various lengths of fishing line and recording the time for 5 periods. The person is confused about how to do an error analysis and is asking for help. The response suggests taking the average and standard deviation of the measurements for the time and length, and dividing by the number of measurements to get the period and absolute error. They also mention the use of relative error and provide some equations for calculating it.
MassivePhysics
Error Analysis/Significant Figure help please!

Hi Physics Forums,

I have an assignment due very soon and I have completed everything, bar error analysis. I have been told that we need to calculate relative and absolute errors or something along those lines and I have NO IDEA what I am doing. I have been researching the topic and searching forum threads, but to no avail. Please someone help me!

Basically, I have calculated the local acceleration of gravity via a pendulum experiment. I have measured various lengths of fishing line which I have dropped and recorded the time of 5 periods for.
I have plotted the average period for 5 different lengths of fishing line, squared (T²) against the lengths of the fishing line (L). I have measured the average period to 4 significant figures (e.g 4.033, 4.267 etc) and the length to two significant figures (e.g 4.0, 4.5, 5.0) etc. The lengths were measured using a tape measure with 10cm intervals and the stopwatch used to record the period had 2 decimal places. (Although the stopwatch only had 2 decimal places, the period values have 3 decimal places as they were recorded based on 15 periods and then divided by 15, so the 15 periods had 2 decimal places but 4 significant figures).

How on Earth do I do an error analysis??

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a little late ... here's a crash course:

The absolute error is the standard deviation of your results.
The relative error is the absolute error divided by the mean value.

A typical experiment would measure the time for 10 (or so) periods for each length.
You would notice that these times are slightly different ... so you take the average and the standard deviation of the measurements ... these are the time and the absolute error on the time.
Divide both by 10 to get the period and the absolute error on the period.

You also measured the length of the string - which you should also do several times before and after the experiment... or you can guess the absolute error to be half the smallest deviation on the ruler.

This should start to sound familiar to you.

If the absolute error in measurement ##x## is ##\sigma(x)## and the relative error is ##r(x)## then:

##r(x)=\sigma(x)/x\\ \sigma(x+y)=\sqrt{\sigma^2(x)+\sigma^2(y)}\\ r(xy)=\sqrt{r^2(x)+r^2(y)}\\ \sigma(ax)=a\sigma(x)\\ r(x^n)=nr(x)##

You should have some notes on this from your coursework.

Related to How Do I Perform Error Analysis in a Pendulum Experiment?

1. What is error analysis and why is it important in scientific research?

Error analysis is the process of identifying and quantifying the uncertainties or errors in a measurement or experimental result. It is important in scientific research because it allows for a more accurate and reliable interpretation of data, leading to more valid conclusions and theories.

2. How do significant figures help with error analysis?

Significant figures are a way of representing the precision of a measurement or calculation. By using the correct number of significant figures, we can better understand the magnitude of errors and make more accurate comparisons between data points.

3. What is the difference between precision and accuracy?

Precision refers to the consistency or reproducibility of a measurement, while accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true or accepted value. In other words, precision is about the level of detail in a measurement, while accuracy is about the correctness of the measurement.

4. How can we minimize errors in scientific experiments?

There are several ways to minimize errors in scientific experiments, including using proper equipment and techniques, repeating measurements multiple times, and controlling for external factors that could affect the results. It is also important to carefully analyze and interpret the data to identify and account for any sources of error.

5. What is the significance of error bars in graphs?

Error bars are a visual representation of the uncertainties in data points on a graph. They provide a range of values within which the true value is likely to fall, accounting for errors and variations in the data. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the data and its limitations.