How do I parameterize the intersection of these two surfaces?

In summary, the problem requires finding a parameterization for the curve of intersection of two surfaces, x^2+y^2+z^2=14 and z=y^2-x^2. The surfaces can be identified as a sphere and a hyperbolic paraboloid, and the intersection can be found by solving for x and y in terms of z. However, this may result in a complicated parameterization. Alternatively, the tangent vector can be found by taking the gradient of the two surfaces at the specified point and crossing them, without the need for a parameterization.
slr77

Homework Statement

Parameterize the curve of intersection of the two surfaces:

x^2+y^2+z^2=14
z=y^2-x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried manipulating the equations above but can't seem to get a nice parameterization which I can use to do the rest of the (calculus) problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe if you start by understanding the nature of the intersecting surfaces. The first one is what kind of surface? (That's the easy one.) The second one is what kind of surface? So what should the intersection look like? For the second surface you may get someplace by considering a small set of values of z, and seeing what that implies for x and y.

If you are having trouble with understanding those surfaces, try "rounding up the usual suspects." For each surface:
- Is the surface bounded? Or can you have the coordinate values go to infinity?
- Does the surface intersect the origin?
- Does the surface intersect the x=0 plane? The y=0 plane? The z=0 plane? If it does, what does that intersection look like?

The first one is a sphere of radius sqrt(14) and and the second is a hyperbolic paraboloid. I even grahed both surfaces before posting this question and am looking at the curve of intersection right now. But I can't figure out what the parameterization should be. I tried look at the intersection on the xz, xy, yz planes but nothing is jumping out at me.

slr77 said:

Homework Statement

Parameterize the curve of intersection of the two surfaces:

x^2+y^2+z^2=14
z=y^2-x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried manipulating the equations above but can't seem to get a nice parameterization which I can use to do the rest of the (calculus) problem.

You could try solving for ##x,y## in terms of ##z##. Writing your two equations as
[tex] \begin{array}{rcc}x^2 + y^2 &=& 14 - z^2\\
-x^2 + y^2 &= &z \end{array} [/tex]
allows an easy solution for ##x^2## and/or ##y^2##. Those will give two roots each for ##x## and ##y##, for a total of four ##(x,y)## pairs, each given in terms of ##z##. They will probably correspond to two separate curves ("branches"), with each branch having two formulas: one for positive and one for negative values of ##x## or ##y##.

Ray Vickson said:
You could try solving for ##x,y## in terms of ##z##. Writing your two equations as
[tex] \begin{array}{rcc}x^2 + y^2 &=& 14 - z^2\\
-x^2 + y^2 &= &z \end{array} [/tex]
allows an easy solution for ##x^2## and/or ##y^2##. Those will give two roots each for ##x## and ##y##, for a total of four ##(x,y)## pairs, each given in terms of ##z##. They will probably correspond to two separate curves ("branches"), with each branch having two formulas: one for positive and one for negative values of ##x## or ##y##.

The full problem requires me to compute r'(t) = <x'(t), y'(t),z'(t)> (well actually I just need a tangent vector to the curve of intersection at a certain point but this is the only way I can think of to compute it) so this parameterization seems too complicated. the closest I was able to get was by solving this:

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - 14 = y^2 - x^2-z
2*x^2 + (z+1/2)^2 = 57/6

But this also results in a overly complicated parameterization. So it seems that there must be some other way to do this problem without getting a parameterization because these would result in a very hairy problem and I don't think it's meant to be...

sorry double post

I finally realized how to do it and it was a case of severe tunnel vision as I suspected. I just have to take the gradient of the two level surfaces at the specified point and cross them in order to get the tangent vector. Parameterizing the curve of intersection and computing the tangent vector is not necessary.

Related to How do I parameterize the intersection of these two surfaces?

1. How do I determine the parameters for the intersection of two surfaces?

To parameterize the intersection of two surfaces, you will need to find the equations for each surface and set them equal to each other. Then, solve for one variable in terms of the other. This will give you two equations that represent the intersection. From there, you can choose any two parameters (usually u and v) and express the remaining variables in terms of those parameters.

2. Can I use different parameters for each surface?

Yes, you can use different parameters for each surface. In fact, it is often necessary to do so in order to accurately represent the intersection. Just be sure to clearly label which parameters are associated with each surface.

3. What if the intersection does not have a closed-form equation?

If the intersection does not have a closed-form equation, you may need to use numerical methods or approximations to parameterize it. This could involve dividing the surfaces into smaller regions and using different equations for each region, or using a computer program to generate a parametric plot of the intersection.

4. How can I visualize the intersection of two surfaces?

One way to visualize the intersection of two surfaces is to use a graphing calculator or computer program to plot the parametric equations. Another option is to sketch both surfaces on the same coordinate system and identify the points where they intersect. You can also use slicing or cross-sections to better understand the shape of the intersection.

5. Are there any general tips for parameterizing the intersection of two surfaces?

Some general tips for parameterizing the intersection of two surfaces include: identifying any symmetries or special patterns in the surfaces, considering the ranges of the parameters to ensure they cover the entire intersection, and double-checking your work to make sure the parametric equations accurately represent the intersection. It can also be helpful to compare your results to any known intersections of similar surfaces to check for accuracy.