How do i move get rid of a fraction like this?

• Thread starter dbzsongoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying expressions involving fractions and exponents. The process is to rewrite the expression using the properties of exponents and then apply the distributive property to simplify further.
dbzsongoku
Hi,
Usually for question like 1/(e^x) I can get rid of the fraction by writing it as e^-x. FOr a question like (e^x+1)/e^x how do I do this? It simplifies down to e^-x+1 but I don't get how to do it.
thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Because

[tex]\frac{a+b}{c} = \frac{a}{c} + \frac{b}{c}[/tex]

edit: dextercioboy: ooh true. sorry! :redface: o:)

Last edited:
gazzo said:
[tex]
\frac{e^x+1}{e^x} = \frac{e^x}{e^x} + \frac{1}{e^x} = 1 + \frac{1}{e^x} = e^{-1} + 1
[/tex]

edit: gah, quasar you're too fast :-p :smile:

You have a typo...And besides,the idea was to make him solve the exercise,not doing it for him...

Daniel.

dbzsongoku said:
Hi,
Usually for question like 1/(e^x) I can get rid of the fraction by writing it as e^-x. FOr a question like (e^x+1)/e^x how do I do this? It simplifies down to e^-x+1 but I don't get how to do it.
thanks
A direct answer to your exact question is (e^x + 1)*e^-x, just like your 1/e^x example. :smile: Don't forget the distributive property of multiplication over addition.

Related to How do i move get rid of a fraction like this?

1. How do I simplify a fraction?

To simplify a fraction, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator. Then, divide both the numerator and denominator by the GCF. The resulting fraction will be in its simplest form.

2. How do I convert a fraction to a decimal?

To convert a fraction to a decimal, you need to divide the numerator by the denominator. You can do this using long division or a calculator. The resulting decimal will be the equivalent value of the fraction.

3. How do I add or subtract fractions with unlike denominators?

To add or subtract fractions with unlike denominators, you need to find the lowest common denominator (LCD) of the fractions. Then, convert each fraction to an equivalent fraction with the LCD as the denominator. Finally, you can add or subtract the numerators and keep the LCD as the denominator.

4. How do I multiply fractions?

To multiply fractions, you simply multiply the numerators together and the denominators together. The resulting fraction will be in its simplest form. If needed, you can then simplify the fraction using the method mentioned in question 1.

5. How do I divide fractions?

To divide fractions, you need to multiply the first fraction by the reciprocal of the second fraction. The resulting fraction will be in its simplest form. If needed, you can then simplify the fraction using the method mentioned in question 1.