How do I merge two age groups per 10k from an abortion rate table?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the 12-19 abortion rate per 10,000 women using data from a table. The speaker presents their calculation of 125.67 per 10,000 using the number of abortions and rates for each age group. However, there is confusion about the meaning of the third column, "Distribution of abortion age," which may affect the accuracy of the calculation. The conversation also introduces notations for the age groups and number of abortions and women surveyed in each group.
samlag
  • I would like to find the 12 to 19 abortion rate per 10,000 women from the following table:
View attachment 7193
This would be the merging of age groups "12-17" with "18-19" to some how get the 12-19 abortion rate.
EDIT: "Distribution of abortion age" was translated from "Répartition des ges l'avortement" in French. It appears to me to be the percentage each age group's abortions are of the total amount of abortions.

The answer I came up with is 125.67 per 10,000. Not sure if that is correct.
I multiplied the rate per individual woman by the number of abortions for each group which I think gave the number of women. I added both of these groups together. I added both groups number of abortions and then divided the amount of women by amount of abortions and multiplied it by 10,000.

If you would like to answer, its probably best to focus on the math, and not politics :)

Attachments

• franceteenabortionrate.png
    franceteenabortionrate.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let us introduce some notations. Let age 12-17 be denoted by index 1 and age 18-19 by index 2. Let $a_i$ be the number of abortions and $r_i$ be rates for $i=1,2$. Let us express rates as absolute fractions (abortions per woman) rather than numbers per 10,000. Thus, $r_1=60.7/10,000=0.00607$. Let $w_i$ be the total number of women surveyed in each age group. Then $w_i\cdot r_i=a_i$ from where $w_i=\frac{a_i}{r_i}$. We get the following values.
\begin{align}
a_1&=10428 & r_1&=0.00607 & w_1&=a_1/r_1\approx 1,717,627\\
a_2&=13654 & r_2&=0.02409 & w_2&=a_2/r_2\approx 566,791
\end{align}

samlag said:
I multiplied the rate per individual woman by the number of abortions for each group which I think gave the number of women.
From the above, it seems that one must divide the number of abortions by the rate.

samlag said:
I added both of these groups together. I added both groups number of abortions and then divided the amount of women by amount of abortions and multiplied it by 10,000.
Here I agree. The combined rate is \(\displaystyle \frac{a_1+a_2}{w_1+w_2}=\frac{a_1+a_2}{a_1/r_1+a_2/r_2}\approx 0.01054\), or 105.4 per 10,000 women.

However, I am not sure what the third column, "Distribution of abortion age", means. Let us denote it by $d_i$ so that $d_1=6.4$ and $d_2=8.3$. If it is the fraction of total women surveyed in the given age bracket, then these numbers contradict our findings. In this case $w_2/w_1$ should equal $d_2/d_1$, which is not the case for the numbers above. If, however, this is true, then the combined rate equals \(\displaystyle \frac{d_1r_1+d_2r_2}{d_1+d_2}\approx162.4\) per 10,000.

Last edited:
Evgeny.Makarov said:
However, I am not sure what the third column, "Distribution of abortion age", means. Let us denote it by $d_i$ so that $d_1=6.4$ and $d_2=8.3$.

Note that 10426 / 163652 = 6.4%.
It's the distribution of the abortions over the age groups as a percentage.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
However, I am not sure what the third column, "Distribution of abortion age", means. Let us denote it by $d_i$ so that $d_1=6.4$ and $d_2=8.3$. If it is the fraction of total women surveyed in the given age bracket, then these numbers contradict out findings. In this case $w_2/w_1$ should equal $d_2/d_1$, which is not the case for the numbers above. If, however, this is true, then the combined rate equals \(\displaystyle \frac{d_1r_1+d_2r_2}{d_1+d_2}\approx162.4\) per 10,000.

"Distribution of abortion age" was translated from French "Répartition des ges l'avortement" which also translates to "Распределение мест абортов" and "Zetelverdeling abortus" in Dutch. It appears to me to be the percentage each age group is of the total amount of abortions.

Related to How do I merge two age groups per 10k from an abortion rate table?

1. How do I calculate the merged age group per 10k from an abortion rate table?

To calculate the merged age group per 10k, you will need to add the number of abortions for each age group and divide it by the total number of women in that age group. Then, multiply the result by 10,000 to get the rate per 10k.

2. What is the significance of merging two age groups in an abortion rate table?

Merging two age groups in an abortion rate table allows for a more accurate representation of the data. It can help to better understand the overall trends and patterns in abortion rates across different age groups.

3. What is the best method to merge two age groups in an abortion rate table?

The best method to merge two age groups in an abortion rate table is to combine the data for the two age groups and calculate the rate per 10k as described in the answer to the first question.

4. Can I merge more than two age groups in an abortion rate table?

Yes, you can merge more than two age groups in an abortion rate table using the same method as described in the answer to the first question. However, it is important to keep in mind that merging too many age groups can make the data more complex and difficult to interpret.

5. How does merging age groups affect the accuracy of the data in an abortion rate table?

Merging age groups may affect the accuracy of the data in an abortion rate table to some extent. It can help to reduce the impact of outliers and provide a more comprehensive view of the data. However, it is important to carefully consider the age groups being merged and the potential impact on the overall accuracy of the data.