How do i measure thermal conductivity?

In summary, for a school project on measuring thermal conductivity of liquids, there is no simple method available. It is suggested to do research online for potential methods, such as the modified transient plane source technique by C-Therm.
TimeTraveler
I need a simple method of measuring thermal conductivity of liquids for a school project. I have access to the school's science labs, so I can get the basic equipments (hopefully). All I need is a method of measuring thermal conductivity.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of different methods for measuring thermal conductivity. One of the easiest to use in measuring a liquid is the modified transient plane source technique developed by Dr. Mathis' company (C-Therm)
http://www.ctherm.com/tci"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How do i measure thermal conductivity?

1. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter. This device measures the amount of heat that passes through a material over a specific period of time, and calculates the thermal conductivity based on this measurement.

2. What units are used to measure thermal conductivity?

The most commonly used unit for measuring thermal conductivity is watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK). However, other units such as BTU per hour-square foot-degree Fahrenheit (BTU/hr-ft2-°F) are also sometimes used.

3. What factors can affect thermal conductivity measurements?

Some of the main factors that can affect thermal conductivity measurements include temperature, humidity, and the composition and density of the material being measured. Other environmental factors, such as air flow and pressure, can also have an impact.

4. Can thermal conductivity be measured for all materials?

Thermal conductivity can be measured for most solid and liquid materials. However, it may not be possible to accurately measure the thermal conductivity of materials that are very thin, highly porous, or have a low thermal conductivity.

5. Can thermal conductivity be calculated instead of measured?

In some cases, it is possible to calculate the thermal conductivity of a material using known values for other properties, such as density and specific heat. However, these calculations may not be as accurate as direct measurements and can be affected by variations in material composition and environmental factors.