How do I measure the Noise Figure in an Antenna System

In summary, for an Antenna system using two patch antennas, you can determine the SNRin and SNRout of the system by considering thermal noise as the only source of noise. The noise figure of the system is primarily determined by the amplifier, which can have additional noise sources such as shot noise and flicker noise. To measure the noise figure, you will need specialized equipment such as an Ant Ranch or Anechoic Chamber, reference antenna, and vector network analyzer. Additionally, resources from companies like Agilent can provide valuable information on noise figure measurements in RF/uW systems.
lukacsmw
I have an Antenna system using two patch antennas, and I'm trying to determine the SNRin and SNRout of the system. I'm trying to determine the noise figure - is there a way to do it using scattering parameters? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The noise figure is about the active circuit portions only.

Think about what where noise comes from in a passive circuit? Thermal noise only.

Where does thermal noise come from? The resistive component of impedance only. And if it's a 2-port, the transfer parameters of its s-parameter matrix should be ideal (a transmission line) and thus not resistive but reactive, so there should be no added noise from the antenna itself (NF = 0 dB).

But an ideal antenna is: matching 50 ohms and effectively a Thevenin source. So what's the thermal noise? Well, probably tiny but it depends: ~ k x T x BW x R. But...

How does this compare to the noise of an amplifier? Well, without even calculating anything, you have the same thermal noise due to 50 ohms in an amplifier at the input.

But you also have other noise sources because it is tube or semiconductor-based: shot noise, partition noise, avalanche noise, flicker noise, burst noise, generation-recombination noise, etc. Basically: same thermal noise + (maybe a lot) more noise. Ergo, it's the amplifier that matters primarily for NF.

For the antenna, you want to measure s-parameters for knowing the s-parameters to know BW and R seen as the Thevenin, but otherwise that's about it. Well, except that you need an Ant Ranch or Anechoic Chamber, reference antenna and vector network analyzer. Except for that. Which is why you will probably just worry about the amplifiers instead and assume it's just a 50 ohm Thevenin source instead.

The amplifier/gain strip does have a NF to worry about which is http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5952-8255E.pdf" . The simplest method is to use a power meter and noise reference source but it's not out-of-the-box as a measurement (hence Agilent's extensive literature collection about NF).

When it comes to RF/uW stuff, always check Agilent's application notes and similar literature http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/application.jspx?nid=-34815.0.00&lc=eng&cc=US" - they tend to have more practical and theoretical information than 10 college textbooks combined.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How do I measure the Noise Figure in an Antenna System

1. What is the purpose of measuring the Noise Figure in an Antenna System?

The Noise Figure is a measure of how much noise is added to a signal as it passes through a system, such as an antenna system. Measuring the Noise Figure allows scientists to determine the quality and efficiency of the system, and to identify potential areas for improvement.

2. How do I set up the equipment to measure Noise Figure in an Antenna System?

The first step is to connect the antenna system to a Noise Figure analyzer. Make sure that all connections are secure and that the system is properly grounded. Next, calibrate the analyzer to account for any external noise sources. Finally, perform the measurement by transmitting a known signal through the system and recording the output.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of Noise Figure measurements in an Antenna System?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of Noise Figure measurements, including external noise sources, temperature variations, and interference from nearby electronic devices. It is important to ensure that the system is properly shielded and that the measurements are taken in a controlled environment.

4. How can I interpret the results of a Noise Figure measurement in an Antenna System?

The Noise Figure is typically expressed in decibels (dB), and a lower value indicates a more efficient antenna system. A Noise Figure of 0 dB means that the system is perfectly efficient, while a Noise Figure of 3 dB means that the system is adding 3 dB of noise to the signal. It is important to compare the results to the expected or theoretical Noise Figure for the system.

5. Are there any common troubleshooting steps for inaccurate Noise Figure measurements in an Antenna System?

If the measured Noise Figure is significantly different from the expected or theoretical value, there may be an issue with the equipment or setup. Some common troubleshooting steps include checking all connections, calibrating the analyzer, and ensuring that the system is shielded from external noise sources. It may also be helpful to repeat the measurement multiple times to ensure consistency.