How do i make chemicals by equation?

• Thread starter Klacid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemicals
In summary, when making chemicals from equations, the molecular formulae of the reagents and products are used to determine the appropriate quantities needed for the reaction. However, these formulae do not guarantee the success of a reaction, as other factors such as reaction conditions and safety precautions must also be considered. Learning chemistry can help one understand how to use molecular formulae in equations, but it does not guarantee the success of a reaction.
Klacid
Hey guys i wanted to know how make some chemicals when i have an equation, for example:

molecularformula.png

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Klacid said:
Hey guys i wanted to know how make some chemicals when i have an equation, for example:

molecularformula.png
First of all, you don't have any equations in the graphic above. These are called the molecular formulas for the various compounds shown.

A typical chemical formula, or reaction, looks like this:

A + B → C + D,

where A and B are the molecular formulas of the reagents, and C and D are the molecular formulas of the reaction products.

There are many different chemical reactions which are studied in chemistry. Some of these reactions can be quite dangerous if proper safety precautions are not employed.

Study some chemistry and then come back if you have any questions.

Likes Klacid
1- Although these molecular formulae would be recognised as the compounds named, it is not always the case that a molecular formula represents a single compound. It could represent several isomers with different structures.
2 - How you make a compound depends on what precursors you have. In general you can't just mix the elements in the required proportion, heat it and hope to get what you want. Strangely enough the compounds you list are more likely to be starting points for the production of other compounds. (Well glucose certainly; butane and octane are mainly fuels, though they could be partially oxidised to produce more reactive compounds.) They would generally be obtained from a biological source (glucose) or petroleum (butane and octane.)

Ok thanks guys, and last question, when i learn chemistry, is that possible i will know how to make equations from a molecular formula?

Yes, the molecular formulae help you work out the number of molecules of each substance to put in the equation.
When you make equations, the molecular formulae tell you what numbers to put in, but they don't help you know whether the reaction is likely. If you know that a reaction works, it simply gives you the correct quantities. For example, it is possible to make butane from pentanoic acid by removing CO2, using soda lime. The overall reaction is:
Pentanoic acid + Sodium Hydroxide -> Butane + Sodium Carbonate + water
C5H10O2 + 2 NaOH -> C4H10 + Na2CO3 + H2O

Likes Klacid

Related to How do i make chemicals by equation?

1. How do I write a chemical equation?

To write a chemical equation, you will need to know the reactants (substances that are combined) and the products (substances that are produced). Write the reactants on the left side of the equation and the products on the right side. Use plus signs (+) to separate multiple reactants and products, and an arrow (→) to show the direction of the reaction. For example: A + B → C + D.

2. What are coefficients and subscripts in a chemical equation?

Coefficients are numbers that are placed in front of a chemical formula to indicate the number of molecules or moles of that substance. Subscripts are numbers that are written below and to the right of a chemical symbol to indicate the number of atoms of that element in a molecule. Coefficients affect the entire molecule, while subscripts only affect the atom they are next to.

3. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. Start by balancing elements that appear only once on each side of the equation and then work your way through the other elements until the equation is balanced. You can add coefficients in front of the formulas or change the subscripts (only if the formula represents a polyatomic ion).

4. What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances (reactants) are transformed into new substances (products) with different chemical and physical properties. This transformation is caused by the breaking and forming of chemical bonds between atoms. Chemical reactions can be described by writing a chemical equation.

5. Why is it important to use a balanced chemical equation?

A balanced chemical equation is important because it accurately shows the quantities and types of substances involved in a chemical reaction. It also follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only rearranged. A balanced equation ensures that the same number of atoms of each element are present on both sides of the equation, which is necessary for a reaction to occur.