Should Convicted Felons Have the Right to Vote?

• News
  • Thread starter Shahil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of whether or not prisoners should be allowed to vote. The conversation mentions a court ruling in South Africa that allows prisoners to vote while serving their sentence, and some members believe that prisoners should be allowed to vote while others believe they should not. The discussion also touches on the idea that losing the right to vote is an additional punishment for prisoners, and some believe this is a misuse of a fundamental right. It is also mentioned that in the US, felons are not allowed to vote.

Should prisoners/convicts be allowed to vote?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Shahil
Simple question but would like some response to it.

A couple days back I was watching MTV News and they covered a Hip Hop convention where Eminem was encouraging the youth to vote. Apparently he can't vote becasue he is a convicted felon.

Recently in SA, there was a court ruling which basically gave the vote to a couple thousand prisoners.

Now, what should the proper democratic stance be on convicts? Should they be given the vote or not. After all they are citizens of the country but on the other hand, they have broken the rules of the country.

i really don't have a view on this issue and was :redface: hoping u guys can give me some direction here!

Physics news on Phys.org
Prisoners can't vote?

Prisoners in jail or on probation shouldn't be allowed to vote but if you are convicted and walking free, such as Eminem, should be allowed to vote since they are trying to live renewed lives. If you are convicted twice for the same crime or even a different one then you sould not be allowed to vote. But that's just my opinion.

kuengb said:
Prisoners can't vote?

Do you mean can't as in shouldn't be allowed to or can't as in they're not allowed to.

After the court ruling in SA, prisoners CAN vote while serving their prison term.

Shahil said:
Do you mean can't as in shouldn't be allowed to or can't as in they're not allowed to.
As in they're not allowed to.

This was new to me. As I understand you correctly that's US law, prisoners may not vote in the US?

I think they should be allowed to. First of all, some pocket thief is not a serial killer, you have to draw the line somewhere. Second of all, in my eyes this is a misuse of a fundamental right for juristical purpouses. The sentence for a crime is prison, and nothing else.

It's not prisoners, it's felons that cannot vote.

Losing the right to vote is an additional punishment and is to be a deterrent.

kuengb said:
As in they're not allowed to.

This was new to me. As I understand you correctly that's US law, prisoners may not vote in the US?

I think they should be allowed to. First of all, some pocket thief is not a serial killer, you have to draw the line somewhere. Second of all, in my eyes this is a misuse of a fundamental right for juristical purpouses. The sentence for a crime is prison, and nothing else.

The line is drawn at felonies and misdermeanors. If you are a felon, you hand over your freedom, your right to handle a gun, and to vote.

I don't think prisoners should vote like phatmonky said above. People who are convicted should be given basic human rights but not freedom such as voting.

1. Should prisoners be allowed to vote?

This is a complex and controversial question that does not have a clear-cut answer. Some argue that prisoners have lost their right to participate in society by committing a crime and should therefore not be allowed to vote. Others believe that denying prisoners the right to vote goes against the principles of democracy and can perpetuate social inequalities.

2. What are the arguments for allowing prisoners to vote?

One of the main arguments for allowing prisoners to vote is that it is a fundamental human right that should not be taken away as a form of punishment. Additionally, denying prisoners the right to vote can further marginalize them and contribute to their feelings of disenfranchisement and disconnection from society. It can also lead to unequal representation in government, as prisoners are often from marginalized communities.

3. What are the arguments against allowing prisoners to vote?

Opponents of allowing prisoners to vote argue that it goes against the concept of justice and fairness, as prisoners have violated the laws of society and should not be allowed to participate in the democratic process. They also argue that it can be seen as a privilege that is earned by following the rules and laws of society.

4. Are there any countries that allow prisoners to vote?

Yes, there are several countries that allow prisoners to vote, including Canada, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Norway, and Sweden. These countries view voting as a fundamental human right that should not be taken away as a form of punishment.

5. Are there any studies on the impact of allowing prisoners to vote?

There have been several studies on the impact of allowing prisoners to vote. Some studies have shown that allowing prisoners to vote can have positive effects, such as reducing recidivism rates and promoting a sense of civic responsibility among prisoners. However, there are also studies that suggest that allowing prisoners to vote can have negative effects, such as weakening the deterrent effect of imprisonment. Overall, more research is needed to fully understand the impact of allowing prisoners to vote.