How do I know this point lies on the line in the plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses a point given by (6,0,-2) and equations for a line in terms of t. The question asks if plugging in the point will result in matching values of t to determine if the point lies on the line. The expert suggests that this is the right approach and the individual confirms that they did not get matching values of t. The expert then confirms that the point does not lie on the line.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

This is the point:

(6,0,-2)

Homework Equations

x = 4-2t
y = 3+5t
z = 7+4t

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I just plug in the points and see if I get matching values of t? If not, how do I go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
shreddinglicks said:

Homework Statement

This is the point:

(6,0,-2)

Homework Equations

x = 4-2t
y = 3+5t
z = 7+4t

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I just plug in the points and see if I get matching values of t? If not, how do I go about this?

What is stopping you from just going ahead and trying it out for yourself?

I did try it. I'm asking if this is the right way to do this. I do not have any answers for this problem. Can you please tell me if that is the right way to do this?

shreddinglicks said:
I did try it. I'm asking if this is the right way to do this. I do not have any answers for this problem. Can you please tell me if that is the right way to do this?

It is the right way to see if the given point lies on the line. What is your answer?

ehild

I do not get matching values of t.

t = -1, -3/5, -9/4

Last edited:
So the point does not lie on the line?

shreddinglicks said:
So the point does not lie on the line?

It does not.

ehild

Thanks!

Related to How do I know this point lies on the line in the plane?

1. How do I determine if a point lies on a line in a plane?

To determine if a point lies on a line in a plane, you can use the slope-intercept form of a line (y=mx+b) and plug in the coordinates of the point. If the resulting equation is true, then the point lies on the line. Another method is to use the distance formula to calculate the distance between the point and any two points on the line. If the distance is the same, then the point lies on the line.

2. Can a point lie on a line in a plane if it is not directly on the line?

No, a point can only lie on a line in a plane if it is directly on the line. Any points that are not directly on the line will not satisfy the equation of the line and therefore, do not lie on the line.

3. What is the equation for a line in a plane?

The equation for a line in a plane is commonly written in slope-intercept form as y=mx+b, where m represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept (where the line crosses the y-axis).

4. How do I find the slope of a line in a plane?

The slope of a line in a plane can be found by using the formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are any two points on the line. This formula represents the change in y over the change in x, or the rise over run, which is the slope of the line.

5. Can a point lie on more than one line in a plane?

Yes, a point can lie on more than one line in a plane. If a point lies on two or more lines, those lines are said to be concurrent. In this case, the point satisfies the equation of all the lines it lies on.