How do I isolate S in this Matrix and Vector Equation?

In summary: Chepa. It seems like the best approach would be to solve the system of equations and find the values for the elements of S that satisfy them. However, it's important to note that the solution may not always exist, depending on the values of x and z.
chepa
Hey guys,

I would need to isolate S (solve for S knowing all other terms) in this equation made of Matrix (B, I and S), of vector (x and y) and of constant &.

x = - ([(B-I)S -(I/&)]^-1) (y/&)

Someone could help me?

Chepa

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's call "c" your constant "&":

[tex]x=-((B-I)S-\frac{I}{c})^{-1}\frac{y}{c}[/tex]

Then

[tex]((B-I)S-\frac{I}{c})x=-((B-I)S-\frac{I}{c})((B-I)S-\frac{I}{c})^{-1}\frac{y}{c}=-\frac{y}{c}[/tex]

[tex](B-I)Sx-\frac{I}{c}x=-\frac{y}{c}[/tex]
[tex](B-I)Sx=-\frac{y}{c}-\frac{I}{c}x[/tex]
[tex]Sx=(B-I)^{-1}(-\frac{y}{c}-\frac{I}{c}x)[/tex]

Since x is a vector, this is a system of equations. As far as I remember, the existence of an "inverse vector" that satisfies the equation is not guaranteed, so you cannot simply solve for S. What you can do is solve the system and find the elements of S. Notice that S is a matrix whereas x is a vector. This gives you n equations for [itex]n^2[/itex] elements of S, which means that there is a family of matrices that satisfy that equation. If you assume e.g. that all elements of S except for the diagonal are 0, then you might find an answer.

Hi meldraft,
actually the matrix S is a diagonal matrix and all other parameters of that equations are known. That being said, my "matrix solving skills" are rather deficient. That would be great if you could tell me a little more on the method or the way I should put things in place to solve this.

Thanks a lot anyway,

Chepa

If S is diagonal, the product Sx is the vector
$$\begin{bmatrix} S_{11}x_1 \\ S_{22}x_2 \\ \cdots \\ S_{nn}x_n \end{bmatrix}$$

So if work out the right hand side of post #2 and call it vector z, you have the equations
$$\begin{align} S_{11}x_1 &= z_1 \\ S_{22}x_2 &= z_2 \\ \cdots & \cdots \\ S_{nn}x_n &= z_n \end{align}$$ which are easy to solve, if the solution exists. If you have ##x_i = 0## and the corresponding ##z_i \ne 0## for some value(s) of ##i##, there isn't a solution. If ##x_i = z_i = 0##, the corresponding ##S_{ii}## is arbitrary.

Thanks

Related to How do I isolate S in this Matrix and Vector Equation?

1. What is the difference between a matrix and a vector?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns, while a vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers or symbols. Matrices can have more than one row or column, while vectors only have one row or column.

2. What are the basic operations that can be performed on matrices and vectors?

The basic operations that can be performed on matrices and vectors include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Matrices and vectors can also be transposed, meaning their rows and columns are switched, and they can be multiplied by a scalar, which is a single number.

3. How are matrices and vectors used in real-world applications?

Matrices and vectors are used in a variety of fields, including computer science, physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to represent and manipulate data, perform calculations, and solve problems such as systems of linear equations.

4. What is the dot product and how is it calculated?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding elements of each vector and then adding the products together. The result is a single number that represents the magnitude of the projection of one vector onto the other.

5. Can matrices and vectors be multiplied together?

Yes, matrices and vectors can be multiplied together, but there are specific rules that must be followed. In general, when multiplying a matrix and a vector, the number of columns in the matrix must match the number of rows in the vector. The result of the multiplication will be a vector with the same number of rows as the matrix.