Dropped Rock Kinetic Energy Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the kinetic energy of a rock dropped from a cliff using various formulas including F=MA, KE=1/2mv^2, and PE=mgh. There is confusion about whether the question refers to the kinetic energy right before the rock hits the ground or if it includes the energy converted to heat upon impact. The conversation concludes by providing different approaches to solving the problem and clarifying the concept of significant figures.
NIT14
Ok, I missed last class period, but I have the general idea of this I think. I just don't know how to put it all together for this one...

A rock that weighs 40 N is dropped from a cliff 20 m above the ground. What is the kinetic energy of the rock when it gets to the ground? (disregard air friction).

Ok, I know that F=MA, I know that KE=1/2mv^2, and I know that PE=mgh.

Am I missing something here, or am I just retarded? lol. I got the an answer of 10290J and I don't even remember how!.. and I really don't think this is correct. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you considering an elastic collision. If not, the rock will not be moving after being stopped by the ground and if it is not moving then it has no KE.

Or is the question asking just before it hits the ground?

Reread the question and retype it.

Nautica

I'm pretty sure it means right before it gets to the ground. If not, then the energy would be converted to heat engery, right?

I don't think it has anything to do with "elastic collision" either.

Okay, you know the acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2. Use that to find the velocity at just before it hits the ground.

Use that velocity and plug it into you KE equation.

Does that help.

Nautica

Originally posted by NIT14
A rock that weighs 40 N is dropped from a cliff 20 m above the ground. What is the kinetic energy of the rock when it gets to the ground? (disregard air friction).
It's sometimes best to lead by example instead of giving hints on how to do it.

There are several ways to get the answer to this question. The easiest by far is to use the work formula.

W = Fd
W = (40N)(20m)
W = 800J

The potential energy way of looking at it is exactly the same since mg is the same as F.
E = mgh
E = (40N)(20m)
E = 800J

Then there is the kinetic energy way which is just a waste of time since you have to find the velocity and the mass. It's also less accurate because you have to do more operations.

m = F/a
m = 40/9.81
m = 4.0775kg

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
Vf^2 = 2(9.81)(20)
Vf = 19.809m/s

E = (1/2)mv^2
E = (1/2)(4.0775)(19.809)^2
E = 799.998J

Don't pay much attention to how many significant figures I use.

Hey, thanks a lot guys! Makes perfect sense now. :smile:

What is a "Dropped Rock Kinetic Energy Problem"?

A "Dropped Rock Kinetic Energy Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the kinetic energy of a rock that has been dropped from a certain height. It is commonly used to demonstrate the relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and height.

How do you calculate the kinetic energy of a dropped rock?

The kinetic energy of a dropped rock can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the rock, and v is the velocity of the rock.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a dropped rock?

The kinetic energy of a dropped rock is affected by two main factors: the mass of the rock and the velocity at which it is dropped. The higher the mass and velocity of the rock, the greater its kinetic energy will be.

Why is kinetic energy important to understand in physics?

Kinetic energy is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and energy. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the laws of motion and how objects move and interact with each other.

How is the "Dropped Rock Kinetic Energy Problem" used in real life?

The "Dropped Rock Kinetic Energy Problem" has many real-life applications, such as in engineering and construction, where it is used to calculate the potential energy and impact force of falling objects. It is also used in sports, such as rock climbing, to determine the potential energy of a climber and the force of impact in case of a fall.