How do I identify the unit from the question?

• Thread starter Tangent100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mass per unit length and how it is represented in units, such as kg/m or kgm^-1. The conversation also touches on converting between different units, such as kg/m and g/m, and how certain units, like m^-2 and mS^-2, represent area and acceleration, respectively.
Tangent100
EXAMPLE QUESTION:
Calculate the mass per unit length of the wire, μ, given by
μ = g /(2fG)^2
where g = 9.81 N kg–1 and f = 50 Hz.

For example here is it mass per unit length and so would it be kg/m? It kg/m the same as kgm^-1. But then how do I identify the units like kgm^-2 like how would they be written, mass per squared unit length? I'm a bit confused.

Also, if the result was
0.0072 kg/m
Could I say it is 7.2 x10^-3 kg/m or can I convert it to something like g/m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello tangent,

Yes, mass per length is kg per m, or kg/m also written as ## {{\rm kg}\over {\rm m}} ## or ## {\rm kg}\, {\rm m}^{-1} ##. Ropes and chains have mass per length as a characteristic.

And ## {\rm kg}\, {\rm m}^{-2} ## is what you get when you divide mass by area. Tiles and floorboards have that. If a tile of 0.3 m x 0.3 m weighs 0.81 kg, the mass per area is 0.81 kg / (0.3 m x 0.3 m) = 0.81 / (0.3 x 0.3 ) kg / (m x m) = 9 kg/m2.

Water weighs approximately 1000 kg/m3.

Converting is easy, for example the tiles: 0.81 kg / (0.3 m x 0.3 m) = 0.81 kg x (1000 g/kg)/ (0.3 m x 0.3 m) = 9000 g/m2.
Or 0.81 kg / (0.3 m x 0.3 m) = 0.81 kg / (0.3 m x 100 cm/m x 0.3 m x 100 cm/m) = 9 x 10 -4 kg/cm2.

So, in your example: 0.0072 kg/m is indeed 7.2 x10-3 kg/m, and multiplying by 1 (namely 1 = 1000 g/kg) gives 0.0072 kg/m x 1000 g/kg = 7.2 kg/m x g/kg = 7.2 g/m.

Likes 1 person
For example here is it mass per unit length and so would it be kg/m? It kg/m the same as kgm^-1. But then how do I identify the units like kgm^-2 like how would they be written, mass per squared unit length? I'm a bit confused.

As BvU said.. m2 is "square meters" which is a unit of area, so m-2 is "per square meter".

mS-1 is "meters per second" which is a velocity so
mS-2 is "meters per second squared" which is an acceleration

Related to How do I identify the unit from the question?

1. How do I determine the units in a question?

To identify the units in a question, you need to carefully read the question and look for any words or phrases that indicate a specific unit of measurement. These could include words like "meters," "grams," "seconds," or symbols like "mL" or "kg." Once you have identified the unit, be sure to include it in your answer.

2. What should I do if the question does not specify a unit?

If a question does not specify a unit, you can either leave the answer in general terms or use a common unit that makes sense for the context of the question. For example, if the question asks about the length of a pencil, you can use "inches" as the unit even if the question does not mention it.

3. Can I assume the unit of measurement is the same throughout the entire question?

No, you should not assume that the unit of measurement is the same throughout the entire question. Sometimes, a question may involve multiple steps or components, each with its own unit of measurement. Make sure to carefully read the question and identify all units mentioned.

4. How do I handle conversions between units in a question?

If a question involves converting between units, you will need to use conversion factors to accurately solve the problem. Make sure to clearly label the units in your calculations and include any conversion factors used. If you are unsure how to convert between units, consult a conversion chart or your teacher for assistance.

5. What if I am unsure of the unit to use in my answer?

If you are unsure of the unit to use in your answer, you can always double-check with your teacher or refer to a scientific resource for guidance. It is important to use the correct unit in your answer to ensure accuracy and clarity in your solution.