How do I get rid of this virus?

• Thread starter apples
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary: Once I cleaned it all up, I turned the restore back on. :)In summary, the conversation discusses a recurring issue with a file named MDM.exe in the Windows folder, which may be a virus. The group suggests searching for the file and deleting it, as well as using a program to prevent it from loading on startup. It is also mentioned that disabling the system restore may help in removing the virus.
apples
Ok, i have no idea where this came from but it's here. And I've deleted it a hundred times, and moved it to the chest from my antivirus (avast!) , still it keeps showing up again and again.
it's in the windows folder, an the file's name is MDM.exe
the antrivirus keeps on detecting it and deleting it, but it comes again from God knows where. and I'm sick o the on-access scanner message. can anyone please help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you sure this is a virus ?
I did a google search for mdm.exe and found that this may be a program called Machine Debug Manager from Microsoft.
I don't know anything about it though but if you search for mdm.exe you might be able to find some info that can help.

Kevin

MDM is machine debug manager, but sometimes viruses name their file the same as a system file. What you should do is search your disk for the mdm.exe file, if it is somewhere apart from windows or system32 or servicepackfiles then it might be a virus. Or the file could have become infected, and perhaps there is a version of it in the servicepackfiles folder that replaces the other one each time it gets deleted.

If you try to delete notepad.exe from the windows folder, you'll notice it reappears. Those files are stored in the servicepackfiles folder and replace any file that goes missing. However if files in that folder get infected then obviously it would keep on replacing an infected file.

You need to delete it when its not in use. download this program to see if it loads on start up

http://www.download.com/Security-Task-Manager/3000-2094-10246545.html?part=dl-SecurityT&subj=uo&tag=button.

If it is try starting your machine in safe mode which will should prevent it running on startup, then find it and delete it.

Last edited:
apple if you don't want mdm.exe to run, simply goto start -> run, type msconfig -> press enter -> on far right tab (startup) unclick the box with mdm next to it -> apply -> ok -> restart computer. Now the program will not load on start.

ukmicky said:
If it is try starting your machine in safe mode which will should prevent it running on startup, then find it and delete it.

Sorry to interrupt you guys, but... well, I just wonder, how can one start his computer in safe mode? I remembered someone telling me to press some key continuously when the computer starts, but couldn't remember the exact key. Is it F8? :rolleyes:
Sorry if my computer knowledge is a little bit rusty. :blushing: :frown: :cry:

VietDao29 said:
Sorry to interrupt you guys, but... well, I just wonder, how can one start his computer in safe mode? I remembered someone telling me to press some key continuously when the computer starts, but couldn't remember the exact key. Is it F8? :rolleyes:
Sorry if my computer knowledge is a little bit rusty. :blushing: :frown: :cry:
Yes, you boot your computer and as soon as you see the BIOS banner, press F8 over and over again until the screen goes blank and in a second or two, you should see a black screen with the safe mode banners in the corners.

It's also possible your "system restore" (if enabled) is bringing the virus back by storing it in a sys recovery image. To disable system restore; go to the control panel and then to "System" , disable and run the virus check again.. Good luck.

when you do a virus scan what virus does it say your computer is infected with ,what is mdm actually infected with..

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Yes, you boot your computer and as soon as you see the BIOS banner, press F8 over and over again until the screen goes blank and in a second or two, you should see a black screen with the safe mode banners in the corners.

Oh, thanks a lot. :smile:
It's good to know that I remember it quite correctly. :approve:

Zenparticle said:
It's also possible your "system restore" (if enabled) is bringing the virus back by storing it in a sys recovery image. To disable system restore; go to the control panel and then to "System" , disable and run the virus check again.. Good luck.
Good point. I have had a couple of bugs that the system restore had to be turned off or else every time I restarted Windows it would pop back up.

Related to How do I get rid of this virus?

1. How do viruses spread?

Viruses can spread through direct contact with an infected person, through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes, or through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects.

2. How can I prevent contracting a virus?

The best way to prevent contracting a virus is by practicing good hygiene, such as washing your hands regularly, avoiding close contact with sick people, and keeping your immune system strong through a healthy lifestyle.

3. What should I do if I think I have a virus?

If you think you have a virus, it is important to seek medical advice and follow any recommended treatment plans. It is also important to isolate yourself to prevent the spread of the virus to others.

4. Can antibiotics cure a virus?

No, antibiotics only work against bacteria, not viruses. Taking antibiotics for a viral infection can actually be harmful as it can lead to antibiotic resistance.

5. How long do viruses typically last?

The duration of a virus can vary, but most viral infections last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. It is important to rest, stay hydrated, and follow any recommended treatments to help your body fight off the virus.