How do I get acceleration, distance, and time?

In summary, the problem involves a car with a mass of 1200 kg traveling at a speed of 20 m/s on a country road with coefficients of friction of 0.4 and 0.6. The question asks for the distance the car will skid before stopping if the brakes are locked and the road is level. To solve this problem, one can use Newton's Laws, friction, acceleration, velocity, and time. By using the equation ΣF=Δp/Δt, the time can be found and then used in the equation v=u-at to find the acceleration. From there, the distance can be calculated using appropriate equations.
NkaujHelp

Homework Statement

While driving your car at 20 m/s (about 45 mph) along a country road one night, you suddenly see a deer in your headlights. Your car's mass is 1200 kg, and the coefficients of friction between its tires and the asphalt road are 0.4 and 0.6.
If you slam on your brakes and lock the wheels, how far will you skid before stopping if the road is level?
I have no idea on how or where to start.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a second and step back, then write down what each number of information represents. then see what equations use the information. Then make an attempt to solve

NkaujHelp said:

Homework Statement

While driving your car at 20 m/s (about 45 mph) along a country road one night, you suddenly see a deer in your headlights. Your car's mass is 1200 kg, and the coefficients of friction between its tires and the asphalt road are 0.4 and 0.6.
If you slam on your brakes and lock the wheels, how far will you skid before stopping if the road is level?
I have no idea on how or where to start.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Certainly you know something.

Newton's Laws, friction, acceleration, velocity, time ...

How are they related?

Try using ΣF=Δp/Δt. You should find Δt from this equation. Then you use this one to find the acceleration: v=u-at. Can you find out what comes next?

Last edited:

Related to How do I get acceleration, distance, and time?

1. How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where "a" is acceleration, "vf" is final velocity, "vi" is initial velocity, and "t" is time.

2. How do I find distance using acceleration and time?

To find distance, you can use the formula d = (vi * t) + (1/2 * a * t^2), where "d" is distance, "vi" is initial velocity, "t" is time, and "a" is acceleration. This formula is derived from the equation for displacement, s = s0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2, where "s0" is initial displacement and "v0" is initial velocity.

3. What units should I use for acceleration, distance, and time?

Acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2), distance is measured in meters (m), and time is measured in seconds (s). It is important to use consistent units in calculations to get accurate results.

4. Can I calculate acceleration, distance, and time without knowing all the variables?

Yes, you can use the kinematic equations to solve for any missing variable, as long as you have at least two of the other variables. These equations are: d = (vi * t) + (1/2 * a * t^2), vf = vi + at, and vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad. They can be rearranged to solve for any of the five variables (d, vi, vf, a, t).

5. How can I use acceleration, distance, and time in real-life scenarios?

Acceleration, distance, and time are important concepts in physics and are used in many real-life scenarios. For example, acceleration is used in the automotive industry to measure the performance of a car, while distance and time are used in sports to measure the speed of athletes. These concepts also play a crucial role in understanding motion and predicting the outcomes of various experiments and situations in science.