How do I get a career in Space Technology?

In summary: I am wanting to go into graduate school in Astrophysics. I have been told by many people in the electrical engineering field that I need a security clearance. I was wondering if that is true.In summary, it is possible to go into graduate school in Astrophysics without a security clearance. You would need to find an advisor who is working on similar projects.
Lindzphysics
I am an undergraduate Physics major, and I cannot decide if I want to go to grad school fro Astrophysics or Electrical Engineering; I love them both. I want to combine the two, and so my ideal job would be working on the electronics and technology used in space. I would love to work on projects like Hubble, or work for NASA contracting companies building systems for space ships. My question is how do I go about obtaining a career like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
First! First do not disparage your security clearance background investigation.

Sounds like there's a story behind that advice?

Locrian said:
Sounds like there's a story behind that advice?
LOL Sure I am a long retired nuclear field federal civil servant, and a pro-gun activist legally armed citizen. I am stunned with the casual disrespect of the law.

If graduate school is your intention, I suggest finding a school which commonly works on those types of projects. There are plenty of funding opportunities through NASA fellowships, as well as in general space technologies.

The NASA fellowships sometimes even require you to do internships at the various NASA centers, which gives you a better chance of being hired in the end. The funding issues NASA faces has made it very difficult to hire any non-Ph.D.s. You actually don't necessarily need a security clearance to work at NASA

Other contractors like Boeing, Lockheed build a lot of the technology and NASA only manages the science. John's Hopkins Applied physics lab is contracted to build probes as well.

In summary choose your advisor on the basis of what projects they are working on. It will increase your odds.
It will probably very difficult to find an advisor interested in Astrophysics and Electrical engineering. Academia is much more corporate and funding driven than you probably expect.

My background is I am a Ph.D. student in electrical engineering working in electromagnetics. In my past I have worked as NASA and SpaceX. I am currently funded by a NASA project, but I do not have a fellowship.

Related to How do I get a career in Space Technology?

1. How do I become a space technology engineer?

To become a space technology engineer, you will need a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, such as physics or mathematics. Specializing in aerospace engineering or taking courses in space technology can also be beneficial. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects can help you stand out in this competitive field.

2. What types of jobs are available in the space technology industry?

There are a variety of jobs available in the space technology industry, including engineers, scientists, technicians, project managers, and support staff. Some common job titles include aerospace engineer, astrophysicist, mission planner, and spacecraft systems engineer. Depending on your skills and interests, you may also find opportunities in areas such as software development, data analysis, or business operations.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in space technology?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for a career in space technology. You will also need a solid foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as proficiency in computer programming and technical writing. Attention to detail, teamwork, and the ability to work under pressure are also important qualities in this field.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in space technology?

While a bachelor's degree is typically the minimum requirement for entry-level positions in the space technology industry, a graduate degree can be beneficial for advancing your career. A master's or Ph.D. in a relevant field can provide specialized knowledge and skills that may make you more competitive for higher-level or research-oriented positions.

5. What steps should I take to prepare for a career in space technology?

In addition to pursuing a relevant degree and gaining hands-on experience, it can be helpful to network with professionals in the industry, attend conferences and workshops, and stay up-to-date on industry developments and advancements. Consider joining professional organizations and seeking out mentors who can offer guidance and advice as you work towards your career goals.