How do I fix the primary part for my 1.8KW Tesla tower?

In summary, the primary coil design did not work due to a problem with the neon transformer. The primary capacitance was not matched to the required resonant frequency.
TheStyle1
Hi everyone
i am building a 1.8KW tesla tower and i have a problem
i couldn't make the primery part round because the wire was too strong, does that effect my design and will it work ?
[PLAIN]http://im13.gulfup.com/2011-11-01/1320190449301.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure it really makes a difference. One of the things you must be careful with is that you must avoid having sharp edges on the high voltage side (e.g. using a foil dryer duct), or you will have partial discharges on the edges.

Dear All
thanks in advance for you corporation, we decided to get back to our design after the final exams.
we tested the final settings but unfortunately it didn't work for some reason. we used a software called Tesla Coil CAD and it displayed the following data, please if anyone can figure out the sources of problem
Note: our electrical system is 60Hz while the program calculate at 50Hz

Data :

Filename: tesla.tes

Secondary Coil Design
Diameter of secondary coil : 112.50mm
Winding height of secondary coil : 571.50mm
Wire diameter for secondary coil : 0.50mm
Spacing between windings : 0.00mm
Secondary turns : 1143.00
Secondary wire length : 403.97m
Secondary inductance : 26.16mH
Approximate resonant frequency : 321.31kHz
Secondary quarter wavelength resonant frequency : 185.66kHz
Secondary self capacitance : 9.38pF
Toroid capacitance required to form quarter wavelength coil : 18.71pF

Primary Coil Design
Primary capacitance : 0.0221uF
Primary resonant frequency : 185.66kHz
Secondary coil diameter : 11.45mm
Primary conductor diameter : 8.00mm
Primary turn to turn spacing : 8.00mm
Spacing between the secondary and the inside turn of the primary : 12.00mm
The primary will need to be tapped between turn 13 and turn 14 to form a resonant circuit at 185.66kHz

The approximate inductance at each turn is :

Turn 1 0.07uH
Turn 2 0.28uH
Turn 3 0.68uH
Turn 4 1.34uH
Turn 5 2.33uH
Turn 6 3.69uH
Turn 7 5.51uH
Turn 8 7.84uH
Turn 9 10.74uH
Turn 10 14.28uH
Turn 11 18.52uH
Turn 12 23.52uH
Turn 13 29.35uH
Turn 14 36.07uH
Turn 15 43.74uH

Note: The Primary Coil Design is not using the Secondary Coil Design diameter
Note: The Primary Coil Design is not using the calculated Neon Transformer / Primary Capacitor Matching Value

Neon Transformer / Primary Capacitor Matching
Transformer secondary voltage : 15.00kV
Transformer secondary current : 120.00mA
Number of transformers : 1
Primary capacitor required to form a resonant circuit at 50Hz with neon transformer(s) : 0.0255uF

Required sphare topload with 168 mm Radius

Related to How do I fix the primary part for my 1.8KW Tesla tower?

1. What is the primary part of a Tesla Coil?

The primary part of a Tesla Coil is the primary coil, which is a large, cylindrical coil of copper wire that is connected to a power source. It is responsible for creating the initial electrical current that is then transformed into high voltage by the secondary coil.

2. How does the primary part work in a Tesla Coil?

The primary coil is connected to a power source, usually a high voltage transformer or an AC power supply. When electricity flows through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field then induces a current in the secondary coil, resulting in a much higher voltage output.

3. What materials are commonly used to make the primary part of a Tesla Coil?

The primary coil is typically made of copper wire due to its high conductivity and low resistance. The wire is often wound around a non-conductive material, such as a PVC pipe or cardboard tube, to create the cylindrical shape.

4. How can I determine the appropriate size and number of turns for the primary coil?

The size and number of turns for the primary coil vary depending on the desired output of the Tesla Coil. Generally, a larger primary coil with more turns will result in a higher voltage output. However, it is important to consider the power source and other components of the Tesla Coil to ensure they can handle the increased output.

5. Can I build my own primary coil for a Tesla Coil?

Yes, it is possible to build your own primary coil for a Tesla Coil. However, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the principles and safety precautions involved in order to do so safely and effectively. It may also require specialized tools and materials, so it is recommended to consult with an experienced individual or conduct thorough research before attempting to build a primary coil on your own.