How do I find the square root of 3 - 2\sqrt 2?

In summary, the student is trying to find the square root of 3 - 2\sqrt 2, but doesn't know how to do it quickly. They say that either x^2 = 3 - 2\sqrt 2 or (a + b)^2 = 3 - 2\sqrt 2 could be solved by solving for the root two of either a or b. However, there is another way to approach the problem which is more efficient.
deancodemo

Homework Statement

Find the square root of [tex]3 - 2\sqrt 2[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to do this quickly. Could this be done by solving [tex]x^2 = 3 - 2\sqrt 2[/tex]? Or should I solve [tex](a + b)^2 = 3 - 2\sqrt 2[/tex]? By the way, the answer is [tex]1 - \sqrt 2[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah you got it (a + b)^2 , you know that either a or b is root two, so lay it out like this

a^2 + b^2 = 3
2ab = -2root(2)

It's like factorising, just have a play with it.

Ok, here's my working:

[tex](a + b)^2 = 3 - 2 \sqrt 2[/tex]
[tex]a^2 + b^2 + 2ab = 3 - 2 \sqrt 2[/tex]
[tex]a^2 + b^2 = 3 \quad (1)[/tex] <--- (is this because a^2 + b^2 is a rational?)
[tex]2ab = -2 \sqrt 2[/tex]
[tex]ab = - \sqrt 2 \quad (2)[/tex]

(from 2): [tex]a = \frac{-\sqrt 2}{b} \quad (3)[/tex]
(from 1): [tex]a^2 + b^2 = 3[/tex]
[tex](\frac{-\sqrt 2}{b})^2 + b^2 = 3[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{b^2} + b^2 = 3[/tex]
[tex]2 + b^4 = 3b^2[/tex]
Solving quadratic gives [tex]b^2 = 1, 2[/tex]
[tex]b = \pm 1, \pm \sqrt 2[/tex]
(from 3): [tex]a = \frac{-\sqrt 2}{b}[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{-\sqrt 2}{\pm 1}[/tex] or [tex]a = \frac{-\sqrt 2}{\pm \sqrt 2}[/tex]
[tex]a = \mp \sqrt 2[/tex] or [tex]a = \mp 1[/tex]

Hence, roots are [tex]\pm(1 - \sqrt 2).[/tex]

There must be a quick way to do this, or is this the only way?

I don't know of any simpler method, however there is a formula for this which I wouldn't recommend trying to memorize if you don't answer questions like these often.

There is another way to approach the same problem, with the same method. Who knows, you might find it interesting:

[tex]a^2+b^2=3[/tex] (1) , [tex]2ab=-2\sqrt{2}[/tex] (2)

[tex](a^2+b^2)^2-(2ab)^2=(a^2-b^2)^2[/tex]

Sub (1) and (2) into equation: [tex]3^2-(-2\sqrt{2})^2=(a^2-b^2)^2[/tex]

Therefore, [tex](a^2-b^2)^2=1[/tex] (3)

but from (1): [tex]a^2=3-b^2[/tex]

Sub (1) into (3): [tex](3-2b^2)^2=1[/tex]

Solving for b: [tex]3-2b^2=\pm 1 \Rightarrow b^2=\frac{3\pm 1}{2} \Rightarrow b=\pm \sqrt{\frac{3\pm 1}{2}}[/tex]

Take each case for b, and substitute back into (2) to solve for a.

This other approach doesn't really simplify things, but I only use it just to avoid trying to factorize the quadratic in a2 (yes, I don't enjoy factorizing due to the trail and error nature of it).

Just try spotting it out by inspection, trial and error sort of thing, you usually can pick it out after not long at all, took me around 30 seconds or so to see it. Your method is sound however.

Related to How do I find the square root of 3 - 2\sqrt 2?

1. How do I find the square root of a number?

To find the square root of a number, you can use a calculator, use a square root table, or use a mathematical formula. The most common method is to use a calculator, which has a square root function. Simply enter the number and press the square root button to get the answer.

2. What is the symbol for square root?

The symbol for square root is √, which is called a radical symbol. It is also commonly referred to as the square root sign or the radical sign.

3. Can all numbers have a square root?

Yes, all numbers have a square root, but not all numbers have a rational square root. A rational square root is a number that can be written as a fraction, such as √4 = 2. However, some numbers, like √2, cannot be written as a fraction and are called irrational square roots.

4. How do I simplify a square root?

To simplify a square root, you need to factor the number inside the radical. Look for perfect square factors and take them out of the radical, leaving any remaining factors inside. For example, √18 can be simplified to √9 x √2, which becomes 3√2.

5. What is the difference between finding the square root and squaring a number?

Finding the square root of a number means finding a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives you the original number. Squaring a number means multiplying the number by itself. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, while 5 squared is 25.