How do I find the satellite's altitude above the earth's surface

In summary, to find the satellite's altitude above the Earth's surface and the mass of the satellite, you can use the expression r²/m from the gravitation law of force and the expression r/m from the potential energy of the system. By plugging these two expressions together, you can determine that r = -U/F and m = U²/FGM.
bmoran08
When in orbit, a communication satellite attracts the Earth with a force of F and the earth-satellite gravitational potential energy (relative to zero at infinite separation) is - U. The radius of Earth is assumed to be r.

How do I find the satellite's altitude above the Earth's surface and the mass of the satellite?

Physics news on Phys.org
Obtain an expression for r²/m from the gravitation law of force between the Earth and your satellite, and obtain an expression for r/m from the potential energy of the system. Plug the two expressions together.

I found r = -U/F and m = U²/FGM

(meaning [itex]r= \nabla F/F[/itex].. kinda cool.)

Last edited:

To find the satellite's altitude above the Earth's surface, we can use the formula for gravitational potential energy: U = -GmM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the satellite, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth.

We can rearrange this formula to solve for r, which will give us the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth. Once we have this distance, we can subtract the radius of the Earth (r) to find the altitude of the satellite above the Earth's surface.

To find the mass of the satellite, we can use the force of attraction between the satellite and the Earth: F = GmM/r^2. Again, we can rearrange this formula to solve for m, which will give us the mass of the satellite.

It is important to note that these calculations assume a circular orbit, and the satellite's actual altitude and mass may vary depending on the shape and characteristics of its orbit. Additionally, these calculations do not take into account other factors such as atmospheric drag and the gravitational influences of other celestial bodies.

Related to How do I find the satellite's altitude above the earth's surface

What is the formula for calculating a satellite's altitude above the earth's surface?

The formula for calculating a satellite's altitude above the earth's surface is: altitude = (radius of orbit + altitude of orbit) - radius of the earth.

What information do I need to know in order to calculate a satellite's altitude?

In order to calculate a satellite's altitude, you will need to know the radius of the orbit, the altitude of the orbit, and the radius of the earth.

How do I determine the radius of the orbit?

The radius of the orbit can be determined by measuring the distance between the satellite and the center of the earth.

Can I use any unit of measurement to calculate the satellite's altitude?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as you are consistent with your units throughout the calculation.

Are there any external factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation?

Yes, there are external factors such as atmospheric drag, solar radiation pressure, and gravitational perturbations from other celestial bodies that can affect the accuracy of the calculation. These factors must be taken into consideration for more precise results.