How do i find the range of this function?

In summary: Since 2cos(x) is never larger than 2 or less than -2, 1/(2cos(x)) is always larger than 1/2 or less than -1/2, never between.
jd12345

Homework Statement

Find the range of y = (cos2x - 1) / ( cos2x + cos x )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i tried the usual method. I cross multiplied and got a quadratic equation in cos x. Then it should have discriminant greater than zero so in the end i get (y-2)2 > 0 which is true for all y. So range is R? ( I don't have the answer)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the formula given correct? Do you really mean
[tex]y= \frac{cos(x)-1}{2cos(x)}[/tex]?
That is equal to
[tex]\frac{1}{2}- \frac{1}{2cos(x)}[/tex]
Since 2cos(x) is never larger than 2 or less than -2, 1/(2cos(x)) is always larger than 1/2 or less than -1/2, never between.

Try factoring the equation, you should get a nice simplification.

But when you simplify you need to keep in mind that if you have an expression of the form [tex]y=\frac{ab}{b}[/tex] then when you simplify to y=a, you need to keep in mind that [itex]b\neq 0[/itex], so you would have to exclude this value if it's in the range.

The problem with your method is that since cos is a restricted function, its own range is only between [-1,1]. To use your method, the equation should be in tan or cot functions since they have range R. Or you can restrict the answer you get accordingly to the range of cos.

An easier method would be to factorize the equation since it results in a very simple equation.

Edit : just noticed Mentallic already posted the easier way.

jd12345 said:

Homework Statement

Find the range of y = (cos2x - 1) / ( cos2x + cos x )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i tried the usual method. I cross multiplied and got a quadratic equation in cos x. Then it should have discriminant greater than zero so in the end i get (y-2)2 > 0 which is true for all y. So range is R? ( I don't have the answer)
Simplify [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\cos^2(x)-1}{\cos^2(x)+\cos(x)}\ .[/itex]

Factor the numerator & the denominator, then cancel, keeping in mind what Mentallic & Infinitum mentioned.

Related to How do i find the range of this function?

1. What is the definition of range in a mathematical function?

The range of a function refers to the set of all possible output values, or dependent variable values, that can be obtained from the function by inputting different values for the independent variable.

2. How do I determine the range of a function from its graph?

To find the range of a function from its graph, look at the highest and lowest points on the vertical axis. The range will be the set of all output values between these two points, including the points themselves.

3. Is there a general formula for finding the range of a function?

There is no general formula for finding the range of a function. It is dependent on the specific function and its domain. However, for linear functions, the range can be determined by calculating the slope and y-intercept of the function.

4. Can a function have an infinite range?

Yes, a function can have an infinite range if the function continues indefinitely in one direction. This is common in exponential and logarithmic functions.

5. Why is it important to find the range of a function?

Finding the range of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior and limitations of the function. It also allows us to determine the possible outputs for a given set of inputs, which is useful in real-world applications.